3 point hitch 'hops'

/ 3 point hitch 'hops' #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
I have a 2006 New Holland TC45A with about 1600 hours on it.

Recently, the 3 point hitch has started to 'hop'. When it is lifted, it will drop an inch or 2 then lift itself back up. This happens quickly and continues as long as the tractor is running.

I changed the oil and filter, but the hopping has not changed. All other hydraulics seem to be working properly. When I lower the attachment, for use, the hopping will stop. And it doesn't have to be all the way up to hop.

Any ideas what causes this, and what can I do to fix it?

/ 3 point hitch 'hops' #2  
You have a leak somewhere in the 3-pt circuit that is letting the 3-pt drop, then position control reacts and lifts up again, over and over.

/ 3 point hitch 'hops' #3  
Seems you have enough hours and years on that machine to warrant lift cylinder O ring replacement. The process is called Hiccuping and the cure usually is a new seal (rubber O ring ) on the lift cylinder. On my Fords, it involves removing the seat then the top cover to the hydraulic/differential sections of the main tractor castings. The lift arms and piston assembly come off as part of this. Directions are published in tech manuals on how to and how to check setup when finished....really nothing to tweak if you don't bother any adjustments when you do the repair.

On the Fords, the (IT) Information Technology manuals are usually sitting on a rack usually close to the parts desk, at about 25 bucks and cover most of what you usually have to fix. Condensed vs the OEM shop manuals, but they are focused on what you usually have to get into. Not that big of a deal and not much cost involved in the repair.

/ 3 point hitch 'hops'
Thanks for the replies.

I called the dealer where I bought the tractor and used the term 'hiccupping' and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said it's a matter of changing O-rings and seals and is not a big job. He could have it done in a few hours.

I'm going to look at it a bit more to see if it is something I want to tackle myself, or just bring it to them and let them handle it. I'm already leaning towards letting them do it. I just don't have the time.

/ 3 point hitch 'hops' #5  
Since you said what you said, let them do it. Money well spent.

/ 3 point hitch 'hops'
Brought the tractor to the dealer about a week ago and picked it up yesterday. It's working fine now. Had a few other issues taken care of while it was in the shop and my total bill was $1061.00, which was less than I expected.

Changed the engine oil, changed 4 seals on the injector pump where fuel was leaking, changed the 3rd function hydraulic couplers, added a starter relay, and changed a leaking seal on the 3rd point cylinder.

8.1 hours of labor at $80.....Money well spent.