Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #1  

sporteus

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 650 - Very Used!
I've never worked on hydraulics before, so this is a really basic newbie question.

I need to remove one of my hydraulic cylinders so I can have it rebuilt (leaking badly). Do I simply disconnect the hydraulic lines or are there other steps I should take to make this easy? I don't want to screw up the hydraulics or cause myself more problems due to ignorance.

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #2  
You need to remove any pressure that may be in the cylinder before disconnecting any fluid lines.Do this by actuating cylinder with unit shut off.always use safety goggles and gloves just in case there is any pressure left in the lines.Tape up lines to prevent dirt from entering the system untill you can get the cylinder back on

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #3  
Yep, remove all pressure. What is this cylinder on?

If its on something like a loader or backhoe, everything needs to be resting on the ground or supported in some other way so that once you loosen the hydraulic lines, things dont start to move on you

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #4  
After you have everything stable on the ground disconnect the rod end of the cyl [remove pin] and, if you have good valve control, carefully retract the cyl to w/i an ace of its stop. Then turn off the tractor and cycle the valve. With a catch pan under it remove the cyl lines. To save fluid be ready to tie the lines up or else use caps so they dont drain. Disconnect the base of the cyl and remove. Do not change its length or you will eject fluid -- theres a lot of fluid on the rod end. Lay it flat with the ports upward and transport to the hyd shop.

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar
The backhoe is grounded with the boom extended, so I think I'm good there. I'm in the middle of a fuel pump replacement, so the tractor isn't running. Assuming I can retract the cylinder manually if I hold the valve open and get some leverage on the cylinder to push the fluid out.

thanks for the tip on taping the lines, that makes sense. I'm assuming I should put something non-reactive over the end first so I don't get glue in the hydraulics.

Where the **** can i buy caps for the hydraulic lines/connectors? I spent several days searching for those a few months ago and couldn't find those online anywhere and was too embarrassed to go ask someone at Napa! Seems like having a few of those around would be helpful. Guessing I was searching for the wrong thing.

Thank you all for the advice. I didn't want to just start removing the lines and cussing because I didn't know what I was doing.

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #6  
Assuming JIC fittings, an online place like discounthydraulichose.com should have caps and pligs.

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar
I was able to take the cylinder off pretty easily and have it in the shop for a rebuild. I have the lines covered with plastic and taped.

Silly question, but is there any reason I can't start the tractor with that cylinder off? I know enough to not to touch the control for that cylinder, but is there any pressure in the lines just because the tractor is running?

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #8  
There shouldn't be any pressure in the lines connecting to the cylinder unless you move the lever on their valve.

Aaron Z

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #9  
Removing the cylinder is easy. Removing the zip tie holding the hydraulic lines in place is where it all went wrong.

image-110078274.jpg

/ Steps to remove hydraulic cylindar #10  
Removing the cylinder is easy. Removing the zip tie holding the hydraulic lines in place is where it all went wrong.

View attachment 463348

Must of been using a pocket knife. at work we had so many injuries using a pocket knife to cut zipties they finally put a rule in the rule book prohibiting it. they issued us a little pair of snips just for the purpose of cutting zipties.