hydraulic top link adjustment question

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question #1  

lol64

Tractor
Kubota L4240
I've got a pretty basic question, but hydraulic top links are pretty rare in England for compact tractors, so I can't go to a dealer and have a play with one!

I'd like to install one of these on my new Kubota L4240, but can't get my head around connecting implements with the hydraulic top link. Say I have a mower on the tractor and I need to take that off to put a box blade on, the length of the top link has to be adjusted, otherwise I can't get the pin in. On a standard top link, you just turn the screw to adjust. With a hydraulic one, do I need to get back into the cab and adjust the link length (and repeat until I get it just right!). Or is there another way on the top link itself? If there isn't, it seems like connecting up implements is going to take a lot longer than with a standard top link.

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question #2  
If you can't reach your controls - it may be harder, but on my VENTRAC it makes attachment and adjustment much easier.

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question #3  
Here is some options that could make it easier. Not in any recommended order.
1. If rear remote has float, put it in float before getting out then move cylinder manual (will take some force to push or pull the rod).
2. If no float, Tee in a high pressure ball valve between the 2 hoses to open then move cylinder manually (same as having float)
3. Add a control rod to the remote lever going to rear of tractor so you can adjust while at the rear.
4. Add a Quick Hitch to the 3pt and hook up while setting in the seat.

Note: #1 & #2 will not work if top link has check valves.

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question
Here is some options that could make it easier. Not in any recommended order.
1. If rear remote has float, put it in float before getting out then move cylinder manual (will take some force to push or pull the rod).
2. If no float, Tee in a high pressure ball valve between the 2 hoses to open then move cylinder manually (same as having float)
3. Add a control rod to the remote lever going to rear of tractor so you can adjust while at the rear.

Note: #1 & #2 will not work if top link has check valves.

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I think I have to have check valves as that's apparently some EU law (but not if I bought something and imported it from the US I guess).

Also, the new Kubota already comes with the quick hitch (looks very similar to the Pat's one you linked to), but that only affects the lift arms, I still have to manually attach the top link.

However, I have found a slightly different kind of hydraulic top link. I think this allows you some manual movement as the ball end screws in and out. So, if I get the length nearly right on the hydraulics from the cab, I can should then be able to make a small adjustment outside. Saving a few trips back and forth to the cab! The only trouble is this version is much more expensive.

Hydraulic-Top-Link-002.jpg

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question #5  
Thanks for the replies!

Well, I think I have to have check valves as that's apparently some EU law (but not if I bought something and imported it from the US I guess).

Also, the new Kubota already comes with the quick hitch (looks very similar to the Pat's one you linked to), but that only affects the lift arms, I still have to manually attach the top link.

However, I have found a slightly different kind of hydraulic top link. I think this allows you some manual movement as the ball end screws in and out. So, if I get the length nearly right on the hydraulics from the cab, I can should then be able to make a small adjustment outside. Saving a few trips back and forth to the cab! The only trouble is this version is much more expensive.

View attachment 465169

That one looks like a good alternative.

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question #6  
Yes, the hydraulic top link can make attachment of the standard implement a little more time consuming. I do it this way - back up to the implement and attach the lower arms. I have a short rope with a loop on the end which goes over the hydraulic top link. I sit in the tractor seat and lift/lower the link with the rope, by hand, while extending/retracting it with the hydraulic control lever. When the holes line up - I jump off the tractor - raise the top link by hand again and slide home the pin. My method seems to work pretty well for me.

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question #7  
This is how I did mine. Was going to put nicer knobs on , but haven't yet. You well be so happy when you do it.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    613.8 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    561.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    591.3 KB · Views: 317
   / hydraulic top link adjustment question #8  

Here's what SSdoxie is talking about in regards to a Quick Hitch. Your implements must be compatable. Allows hitching without leaving the seat.

DSC06258.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06251.JPG
    DSC06251.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 1,897
  • DSC06257.JPG
    DSC06257.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 602
   / hydraulic top link adjustment question #9  
On my 4240 with a cab and hydraulic top link I find it quite easy to leave the rear window open and reach in to extend or retract the top link as needed. This is of course done with all safety steps taken to keep from getting run over or pinched.

/ hydraulic top link adjustment question
On my 4240 with a cab and hydraulic top link I find it quite easy to leave the rear window open and reach in to extend or retract the top link as needed. This is of course done with all safety steps taken to keep from getting run over or pinched.

ahhh... :ashamed: I'm still waiting for my 4240 to be delivered (hopefully late this week, early next) so I guess I was assuming (as there's no way I could reach the controls through the rear window of my old Tym) that the new Kubota would be the same.

Well at least I had the sense to hold off buying the top link until my new tractor arrived! That's saved me about 」120 / $200 on the manually adjustable version... :eek:

I guess my new tractor will be identical to yours as I specified the "HST Plus". It's going to be at the dealer at the end of the week having the weights & a couple of other options fitted, so hopefully I'll have it by the weekend or early next week.

What length top link did you go for?