case 485 - little to no hydraulics

/ case 485 - little to no hydraulics #1  

seanmmcc

Tractor
cub cadet 3185
Neighbors 485 has had hyd issue that started at least 6 months back. The FEL would lift slowly. It would lift a bit faster as the tractor warmed up. We have been using the 3pt and barely lifts now. It might have a moment when it lifts but has degraded where the FEL and 3pt barely or not at all.

The lines running to the joystick are cool, the neighbor commented it doesnt feel like fluid is running through them.

The power steering is fine, Im not sure if they all share the same hydro system.

The things we have been discussing:

Air that needs to be bled?
Clogged filter?
Clogged valve?

What are your thoughts? Or troubleshooting recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sean

/ case 485 - little to no hydraulics #2  
Replace hydraulic filter and clean screenfilter .Their togather .Then check priority valve ...might be stuck in open position . If stuck...remove plug and spring.....put a bucket under and start and rev engine until valve pops out ...polish valve until it do not stuck anymore...reassemble and add oil back in tranny .
Test.

/ case 485 - little to no hydraulics
Thank you very much for the input. I went looking for a service manual for the 485 and cant find anything published other than for sale? Is there a place these are published?

Can you tell me where the priority valve is located?

Thanks again for your help.

Sean

/ case 485 - little to no hydraulics #4  
Under the hydraulic filter is a valvebank called the mcv (multpil controller valve ) and it you lay under the Tractor you will see a few plugs going in it from the bottom . Remove the front plug and the spring ...then you put a bucket under the Tractor and start and rev the engine until that valve pops out

Last edited:
Perfect thanks. Will climb under there and let you know what we find.

/ case 485 - little to no hydraulics #6  
1463498890264.jpg1463498915044.jpg1463498935694.jpg1463498955903.jpg

Thanks. Those images are very helpful.

Is the hydro pump that feeds the power steering the same system that feeds the FEL and 3 point?

Sean

Thanks again DLTrekkers. This is very helpful. Do you think I should start off by checking the priority valve first?

My thought, which might be dead wrong, is that if the power steering is using the same hydro system and it works ok the issue is probably with the valve and since if it was clogged at the filter it would affect the steering as well?

Sean