FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls #1  

Stampeder

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 4940C, FEL, Quick change 3 point factory hitch, pallet forks, grapple, 50 gal tank sprayer, Bush Hog PHD
My Montana 4940C has the WV300 (I believe) Nimco control with the CV432 valve.
When I push the control lever forward the FEL will lower but when I pull the control back there is no resistance like it normally should and the FEL will not raise. The bucket tilt works just fine in both directions
I'm not sure if this is a symptom of a broken cable or if it is more to do with the control valve. Hydraulic fluid level is just fine. And is clean.
Is this a common failure mode for the Nimco controls?
Considering I've had the tractor for 10 years and this is the first problem with the hydraulics other than one hose leak, I think I've done pretty well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Glenn.

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls #2  
While I am not familiar with your Montana, If it is a remote mount spool valve with a cable control,I would suspect cable broken or out of adjustment first. I have had to adjust quite a few of these for proper loader operation on a few tractors that were relatively new.

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls
It just started happening one day, it had been working fine the day before. That's why I was thinking of a broken cable but I wanted to be somewhat sure before I ordered a new cable. Thanks for replying.

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls #4  
I'd follow the cables down to where it meets the spool valve. The cable may well still be intact, just an adjustment issue.
Regard's
Sean

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls
Got it fixed and it works fine, except. Turns out the spool valve has a little treaded barrel that the inner control cable threads into. Well this had come undone. Go figure. I sent the replacement cable back for refund.
The only problem I have now is when I pull the loader lever to extreme back or push to extreme forward the control locks into place. This was not there previous. I think this is a cable adjustment issue. Now I have to find out how to adjust it properly. Anyone point me to a procedure to do this?

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls #6  
Glenn,
I have a Montana R3644 with Nimco controls for the FEL. Just recently having issues with the tilt function not working properly.
But first, to address your last question. No i don't know of a procedure to adjust this. My tractor has actually always done this and i believe it is supposed to. I use it often when pushing snow with the snow blade. Just push the joystick all the way forward and then it "floats" under the weight of the FEL and attachment itself. Whereas if you just push the joystick forward without going all the way, the FEL will go down and eventually lift the front end of the tractor off the ground.
Do you really want to get rid of this function? Why? (just curious)

Where did you order your cable from? I was emailing with Nimco about a replacement joystick directly from them but the spec sheet they sent me was a bit different than mine (see attached) The attached drawing they sent me shows only one "joint ball pin" (pt.no.3) ....Mine has two. One controls up/down the other controls the attachment tilt. I wasn't about to order it until we cleared that up, but i haven't heard back from them since i pointed that out.:confused3:

.View attachment Joystick 11518-3S-PDF.pdf

/ FEL will go down but not up on Montana 4940C with Nimco controls #7  
Just spoke to Nimco and figured out a couple things....
First, in my previous post i mistakenly said that my joystick had "two" joint ball pins but it has three. The reason that the drawing they sent me only has one is that it is the pin that the joystick pivots on and the other two joint ball pins come with the cables. One cable for FEL up/down and the other for bucket tilt up/down.
Glad i figured that out.
Now to figure out why the bucket tilt wasn't working for a couple months and seems to work fine now??? Wondering if the cold has anything to do with it. It had been quite cold (-10 to -25 degC) the whole time it wasn't working but now that it has warmed up above freezing it seems to work fine again. I'm going to start a new thread on my issue....