Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #1  

Equineguy05

Tractor
Ford 3400, Case 580C
Greetings!

Case 580C backhoe valve control spool.

Im a first time spool 're-O-ringer' and I may have done some damage. I completed all the O-ring changes on the internal parts of the boom and dipper spools, and the last thing was to change the wiper and o-ring under it. The diagram showed them next to each other, I plucked out the 0-ring without issue, but the wiper was pressed in there good ( or so I thought ). I bent a screw driver, a brake tool, and was proud enough to grind down a hammer to make a pry tool to get under that wiper. This was getting crazy - I have never met a seal that would not come out with a good screw driver.

Well.... the modified hammer worked, but the results were not what I expected. Looking at the expelled wiper, and the broken cast ridge under it - my heart sunk, and I no longer felt like a MacGyver. Several words came to mind and all I can hear is the echoing words of advise from the Case service guy when I picked up o-rings, "... make sure you put the spools back in the holes they came out of, if you dont... it may fail and you will have to replace the whole valve - which will be a hard part to find". The other one I was able to get out with much more ease now knowing the anatomy of it. ( without damage )

So now looking at the dipper spool hole, the casted ridge the sits between the o-ring and the wiper, has a chunk missing out if it.

Is this going to cause a leak issue? Am I looking at replacing the whole thing? Is this something I can weld a few beads on and then grind it back to near original with a dremel? ( it looks like cast metal, not sure how successful that would be ). Or will this just be an OK thing and learn from it, and never do it again.

I have a pic showing my not so great art work.....

Thanks in advance.

dipper spool oops.jpg

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #2  
That will cause you trouble. It looks like your tool was under the casting and not just the wiper. If that is a seperate valve in the bank you may be able to find one and just replace it. C models are old enough for used parts to be around. Welding and machining would be difficult.

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe
With the new o-ring and the wiper seal pressed in place, you think it will be functional? I may try it this coming week - was just looking for some predictions. I saw that a new replacement is a lot of money, and used ones have been hard to find so far. I tell you, this is one humbling experience.

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #4  
Is there any way you can find out who made the valve?

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #5  
The o ring will probably blow out, but it depends on how much pressure is directly behind it. It's worth a try though. I successfully repaired something similar with epoxy once. Maybe JB weld would work if you can get rid of the oil.

Not quite sure who makes it. Case??? Its the original unit on the model 35 backhoe. There is a serial plate on the left side of it, but only the embossed s/n is legible. The writing has all rubbed off. There are numbers on each valve at the top though. Once I get time to replace the hydraulic fluid, I think I will hook it all back and give it a try.
Im still kicking myself for really prying hard and not trying other, less macho methods.

Thanks for the ideas.

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #7  
My 580B has essentially the same hoe, pumps were either Cross or Cessna - there's a good chance your hoe controls were Cessna also, but AFAIK you're pretty much at the mercy of scrappers for parts.

If you get desperate enough, there are complete valve systems for hoes available at places like surplus center, etc, IIRC the price for a complete control valve system wasn't much more than individual pieces of OEM stuff goes for - one example, loader bucket curl cylinders - trunion mount, if you can even find them you'll be lucky to pay less than $900... Steve

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #8  
That is a stack valve i would look more at just replacing that section.

Is a stack valve a bad thing? I dont really know much about that. I do know... that the new o-ring did not work and does leak now. Ha

/ Hydraulic Spool mistake...... Case 580C Backhoe #10  
Not for a backhoe they are the best and you can stack them where you want. Also there are 7 or more valves and you dont'n have to buy all of them.