Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO -

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO - #1  

versysrider

Tractor
Ford
Hello forum members, I'm looking for some help, here's what's going on.

I have a Ford cm274 (front deck) commercial mower. I was mowing with it, then suddenly it started lurching, and the lever for the 2/4 wheel drive, and the lever for the H/L (ground speed) started flailing back and forth. I drove it about another 150 feet to my shop, noticed it was low on hydraulic fluid (about 1 gallon) filled it up, and the problem remained. It sat dead on the lawn for a week, when /I noticed hydraulic fluid had leaked out and killed the grass under it. Did some checking and found a hard to access hydraulic hose had popped off. Put it back on, tightened all the other hose connections I could reach, added 4 gallons of hydraulic fluid to refill the case. Primed the case with compressed air until the front deck would raise and lower fine, and the steering worked fine, and the mower still does the same thing. It lurches, doesn't want to stay in low gear, high either doesn't engage, or just wont move in high, and the levers slam back and forth, also makes some grinding noises when lurching sometimes. The lurching is worse the higher the engines RPM's, and it seems to lurch a bit less in reverse.

I've had the mower for about 5 years (bought used, has around 1,400 hrs. on it now), never had any problem like this before. It has always leaked some hydraulic fluid, I try to keep it topped up (may have been a bit low). The fluid is always crystal clear on the stick, I have no idea when the filter for the system was changed. Could a restricted filter cause this (deck and steering work fine)?

Also forgot to mention, the levers linkage's are fine, and non adjustable. The engine mounts and everything else I can see seem fine.

Here is a link for a video of what is happening, below.

Ford CM274 mower lurching - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO - #2  
I'd guess that you still have air in the system.

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO - #3  
Have you tried an exorcist?

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO -
I'd guess that you still have air in the system.

Ok I like where you're going with this, sounds like it could be an easy fix. Any idea how to bleed it then?

And, yes, it's kind of a chicken and egg problem, as in which came first. Did the hose blow off while using the mower, while I was unaware, and the lurching was caused by air being introduced into the system. Or did something else malfunction causing the lurching to blow the hose, then after putting the hose back on and re-filling, still has the same symptoms. I wish I knew. I wish I had a manual for it, maybe there would be something about this kind of behavior in the troubleshooting section.

Thanks for the response, hopefully I can get this resolved with the help of forum members.

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO - #6  
Generally equipment like this will self bleed, but maybe yours is different. First make sure the reservoir is full up. Then block up the tires so they are off the ground. With the tires trying to turn, crawl under the machine and gently crack a line between the pump and motor and watch the oil for any foam or bubbles. Don't loosen the fitting any more than necessary and make sure you have safety glasses on. Like I mentioned before, I've had equipment simular to yours before and I have not had a problem like this after draining the system. If bleeding the system doesn't solve the proble, I'd be worried that maybe you damaged your pump or motor. At that point you would need to perform a flow test and that would be a dealer job. You could also try pulling a sample from the reservoir to see if there is any shrapnel in the oil. If there is debris, immediately cease operating the machine. To use it any further will result in sympathetic failures.

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO - #7  
I am in agreement Cord but I think I would block it up and try to run it first to let it work the air out itself.

/ Tractor lurches and levers flail around - See VIDEO - #8  
Im also thinking there is air in the system. I also would block it up and let it run a bit and see if it bleeds itself.

Generally equipment like this will self bleed, but maybe yours is different. First make sure the reservoir is full up. Then block up the tires so they are off the ground. With the tires trying to turn, crawl under the machine and gently crack a line between the pump and motor and watch the oil for any foam or bubbles. Don't loosen the fitting any more than necessary and make sure you have safety glasses on. Like I mentioned before, I've had equipment simular to yours before and I have not had a problem like this after draining the system. If bleeding the system doesn't solve the proble, I'd be worried that maybe you damaged your pump or motor. At that point you would need to perform a flow test and that would be a dealer job. You could also try pulling a sample from the reservoir to see if there is any shrapnel in the oil. If there is debris, immediately cease operating the machine. To use it any further will result in sympathetic failures.

Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, thank you very much. Not sure I'd want to be under it with the wheels turning, however. And your probably right about checking for metal particulates.

@ Creamer & Code54 - Thank you both, I'll try that first before I get under and open a line.

Just curious as to why the drive wheels should be off the ground?