Advice needed on Spool End Float leak.

/ Advice needed on Spool End Float leak. #11  
Gravity and limited access below suck when trying g to work on that. Just had to take the can and return spring off the bottom of the curl on my Ford 5500. Impossible to do without unbolting the valve and prying it a little. But didn't want to go through the 2 hour process of removing all the hoses and hard lines. There are about 10 of them and no room to work. I got it to flex just enoigh to get it done

/ Advice needed on Spool End Float leak.
Gravity and limited access below suck when trying g to work on that. Just had to take the can and return spring off the bottom of the curl on my Ford 5500. Impossible to do without unbolting the valve and prying it a little. But didn't want to go through the 2 hour process of removing all the hoses and hard lines. There are about 10 of them and no room to work. I got it to flex just enoigh to get it done

Uggh.
Is collet the right word and does it make sense to have a seal that low?

/ Advice needed on Spool End Float leak. #13  
Uggh.
Is collet the right word and does it make sense to have a seal that low?

Not sure about the terminology of "collet" but I would be surprised if there was seal in that area. Possible but not likely. Springs and balls are the detent items and can be a challenge to hold in place during assembly. I find that a little grease will help hold the balls in place.

Did the O-ring seem hard or damaged?

The o-ring feels ok to me but I can't see one side and the entire spool has to be pulled out the bottom to get it off. Hopefully the Woods Rebuild kit has some directions.

/ Advice needed on Spool End Float leak. #15  
I suspect you have to remove the centering spring from the end of the spool Vs pulling the entire spool to change that O-ring. Instructions Real Men don't read instructions:laughing:

At least I am accused of that on a regular basis...

So this is what I got for $180...

1470433125794.jpg

No instructions and NO seals. Now that I know how to take it apart I'll take it off and try to find a replacement. Ugh.

/ Advice needed on Spool End Float leak. #17  
There is not a seal in the float. As said before the seal has to seal spool.The spool has to come out to put a new one in. When you said you ordered a new float assy. I thought you didn't need to at that time. For no more then I use float for a $180.00 I could just hold it in float by hand.

Can I just slide the spool out or will I damage/dislodge other things?

Nevermind abou pulling the spool out. Once I knew how to take the bottom off, it all just slid down.

1470486301405.jpg

The o-ring I knew about looked fine but I discovered another one inside the top bushing (correct term?). This did have a tear in it.

1470486756103.jpg

Going to a parts store this am to find new o-rings. I wonder if they weren't supposed to be included.