Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder??????

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #1  

dogbrdr1

Tractor
2003 Mahindra 2310
Does it really matter which end of the cylinder goes where except may have to extend lines? The rod end is now on the down side which means the whole cylinder is being pushed up with the bucket leaving just the rod to hold all the weight, what would happen if they were reversed except controls would work different?

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #2  
Cylinder would work the same......but hoses would move with the barrel

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #3  
You will have more force applied by a cylinder in Push (extend) than you will in Pull (retract). This is due to the lower surface area exposed to the hydraulic pressure in Pull. Control direction doesn't change; you just attach the hoses to correspond to how you want the cylinder to act when you move the valve.

As already eluded to, you typically DON'T want the hoses to move when activating a cylinder--Only the rod.

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #4  
Either rod up or down, it has the same strength to push the bucket up. All else being equal, position it for best hose routing. If a dirty environment, position it rod down for better rod seal protection.

Bruce

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #5  
My little Massey 1010, before I got it someone had installed new cylinders. BOTH are wrong. As dumb as I am about hydraulics, I knew the cylinders shouldn't move, but they do and it's a real PITA, because it stresses the hoses too. Someday I will rebuild the whole thing, the right way.

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #6  
Either rod up or down, it has the same strength to push the bucket up. All else being equal, position it for best hose routing. If a dirty environment, position it rod down for better rod seal protection.

Bruce
That is incorrect. CCWKEN has it right. The cylinders have more power in the rod extend mode due to larger surface area. When the rod retracts, you have to deduct the diameter of the cylinder rod itself since no hydraulic fluid is acting on it, only the plunger portion that is remaining minus the rod diameter. I hope I am clearly explaining this.

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #7  
That is incorrect. CCWKEN has it right. The cylinders have more power in the rod extend mode due to larger surface area. When the rod retracts, you have to deduct the diameter of the cylinder rod itself since no hydraulic fluid is acting on it, only the plunger portion that is remaining minus the rod diameter. I hope I am clearly explaining this.

Actually they are both correct.

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder??????
I think I will install them like they were intended like all other tractors are. The main reason I ask is the crosstube will have to be narrowed on one end but turning them around it wouldn't but I can see that opens up a whole new set of problems. Thank you guys for the input.