Filter Frustration

/ Filter Frustration #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I often try and get substitutions for hydraulic filters. Mostly for convenience but sometimes price.

I just found a sub for my mower. Textron or Jacobson 178025 filters. I got Donaldson Filters.

It took a while to find the right sizes. Some subs are shorter. But here's the thing. Micron ratings don't seem to be dealt with on substitution charts. My 178025 Filters show six different Donaldson Filters some with different micron ratings and I don't have a clue (nor will the manufacturer reveal this) as to the original spec.

Now, I am leary about installing my new filters. They are about eleven inches long and five inches in diameter (two of them, one after the other) on the suction side of my hydraulic wing mower.

And, are suction application filters any different?

Thoughts?

Thanks

/ Filter Frustration #2  
Many times suction filters have a higher micron rating so as to restrict the flow less. 25 micron is common as I remember. Does the mower also have a return line filter? They're usually 10 or less micron since more pressure is available to push the oil through.

/ Filter Frustration
I am not sure, but both these are on the suction port of the filter and that's it. Donaldson (very nice people) tell me the filters I purchased are 17 micron. He thought, good for the application. They are also suitable for suction application.

But, he did not have a cross for my OEM filters. I ended up with his via a cross for a cross.

It makes me start to wonder. What do they use as a medium in oil filters? And what does it mean when a manufacturer has a premium line? What's the difference.

/ Filter Frustration #4  
Filter media can be paper, synthetic fiber or fiber blend and of different thicknesses. The cheaper filters generally use paper and/or have less filtering surface area (fewer pleats). This means it's filtering capability gets exhausted quicker and has a shorter life. "Premium" is defined by the manufacturer and can mean anything. There is no standard for grading terminology. Premium, heavy duty, high flow, super flow or super duper don't mean a thing unless the manufacturer defines it. A premium filter from one company may be the same quality as a standard filter from another. There are no rules for comparison purposes.

The interweb is full of examples of people cutting filters open and comparing media and construction. Some well known brands might surprise you with their poor quality and materials.

/ Filter Frustration #5  
Some filter companies will list a Beta ratio rating for their elements. This provides better idea of how well that filter media works under steady state flow rates.

Suction filters micron rating depends on several factors some of which are:

style of pump: Fixed displacement or variable volume. Most variable volume pumps manufacturers do not recommend using a suction filter or strainer.

Fluid conditions: Cold start ups or heavy oil can cause cavitation which will kill a pump.

system pressure and type of components in the system: Gear pumps and manual valves will tolerate more contaminates that high pressure piston pumps and proportional valves.

For your mower I would guess they are in the 20 - 25 micron nominal range.

If you try them and the pumps are noisy shut it down and get the correct elements. They are usually a whole lot less expensive than the pumps & motors they are protecting.

/ Filter Frustration #6  
I found one site that cross referenced it to a 10 micron. ISZ

/ Filter Frustration #7  
I have had good results cross referencing filters at NAPA. IMHO their WIX line is as good a product as any OEM that you pay 2-3 prices for to pay for their label on what really is a stock item. No OEM (Kubota, JD and others) make a filter or have a filter custom made. Many will argue this point, so you have to make your own decision.

Ron

/ Filter Frustration #8  
Tell U what is filter frustration.

Brand new Plymouth Fury III (back then) and the car is at dealer's for first oil change.
By noon they still have not finished (was in first in AM) and I inquire what the problem is only to find out that they are unable to install a filter that will not leak. (floor shows the evidence).
Parts manuals show wrong part no's.

Finally the discover that my car was a HD or police package and that version used a different filter that was not shown in the manual.