Swivel Fittings

/ Swivel Fittings #1  

otlski

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 204
I just bought a Terramite TLB from a friend. He gave me a slew of new hoses to replace the badly cracked originals. Some of the lengths are pretty short at 18 inches and all the hoses are NPT males at both ends. Give the difficulty in installing these shorter ones as they are captive at both ends by the male NPT, I was considering getting these.

1/4 NPTM x 1/4 NPTF SWIVEL

Some questions:
Will a standard run of the mill NPT fitting seal with the swivel end?
Can I assume these swivel but not under live pressure?
How does the swivel actually seal at the swivel itself?
Any trick to using these?

Thanks,
Dan

/ Swivel Fittings #2  
I just bought a Terramite TLB from a friend. He gave me a slew of new hoses to replace the badly cracked originals. Some of the lengths are pretty short at 18 inches and all the hoses are NPT males at both ends. Give the difficulty in installing these shorter ones as they are captive at both ends by the male NPT, I was considering getting these.

1/4 NPTM x 1/4 NPTF SWIVEL

Some questions:
Will a standard run of the mill NPT fitting seal with the swivel end?
Can I assume these swivel but not under live pressure?
How does the swivel actually seal at the swivel itself?
Any trick to using these?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, a standard NPTM will fit. They only swivel until you tighten the fitting down then it is fixed. This works similar to your garden hose on a spigot.

Edit: I'd love to see pics of the new machine.

/ Swivel Fittings #3  
Most "generic" hyd hoses have MALE NPT on both ends - if yours are like that and you just wanna make long ones out of short ones, you'd probably want these

Surplus Center

for most of the splices... Steve

/ Swivel Fittings #4  
Just to be sure...look at the ends of the hoses...the inside edge should have a slight chamfer ...this will seat to the inside of the swivel fitting when tightened...if the ends of the hoses are blunt they will not work as is...

/ Swivel Fittings #5  
Just to be sure...look at the ends of the hoses...the inside edge should have a slight chamfer ...this will seat to the inside of the swivel fitting when tightened...if the ends of the hoses are blunt they will not work as is...

I absolutely could be wrong BUT I really don't think that last sentence is correct.

You are right that the swivel female is beveled (like a JIC fitting) but the the male does NOT have to have a matching bevel... I really hate to contradict but I was recently replacing several hoses and had just this concern (because it seems like it should).

Called my local hydraulic shop and they confirmed it was ok and in practice it sealed correctly.

/ Swivel Fittings #6  
I absolutely could be wrong BUT I really don't think that last sentence is correct.

You are right that the swivel female is beveled (like a JIC fitting) but the the male does NOT have to have a matching bevel... I really hate to contradict but I was recently replacing several hoses and had just this concern (because it seems like it should).

Called my local hydraulic shop and they confirmed it was ok and in practice it sealed correctly.

You are correct ...but I would not say it "sealed correctly" a mated surface will seal much better...they will still work for the most part (especially in a temporary pinch)...but the surface area that makes the seal will be reduced...I wouldn't want to trust it very long on something that gets a lot of vibration or like on a grapple where the hoses often take some abuse etc...I've rarely seen hoses with straight pipe ends that did not have a chamfer...All the hoses I have ordered with straight NTP pipe ends have the chamfer...

FWIW...if there is room for swivel fittings (they can take up a a bit more space than other options) it makes ordering replacement hoses a simple task by just using straight pipe hose ends and swivel fittings...they come in the same angles that (sometimes greatly) add to the cost of new hoses...IMO swivel fittings make plumbing hydraulics easy...

/ Swivel Fittings #8  
Lol. Heck no. I call NH Hydraulics.