Tractor losing power after loader attached

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #1  

borisvonf

Tractor
Jd 5500 mfwd. Kawasaki mule sx 4x4 JD5103 with 521 loader
Hello brain trust
I borrowed my dads Jd 5210 with loader to work on my farm.
For some time I had noticed lack of power such as not being able to go uphill in C 1 and not able to get to full speed on flat ground in highway gear C3. Issue got progressively worse over last 2 weeks.
Initially, my thought was air or fuel issue.

Cleaned air filter and changed fuel filter. Spend 1/2 a day priming fuel system, checking flow to all fuel components and venting air from all lines but would lose power and shut down still.

Finally decided to remove loader and take to dealer on trailer for suspected injector pump issue.
Once loader removed, machine ran like a champ. Good power. Maintained rpm. Ran for an hour doing misc farm work.

Reconnected loader and lost power again but able to get back into shop and parked.

Now my thought is loader hydros.

Loader still works.

Loader valve has 2 lines coming in then splits to 2 valves lift and curl functions and has float on lift.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #2  
Is the open Center tractor hydraulics dead heading against something that is blocking the normal open circuit flow path. Is there a loader valve in "closed Center mode".
The hydraulic oil is probably getting hot ?
If that 11.4 gpm pump is dead heading against a 2855psi relief valve there will be approx 23HP of load added to that 55HP engine .

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #3  
Maybe the FEL hydraulic connections are reversed if possible? Definitely a flow blockage somewhere.

My neighbor installed his 3pt backhoe on his JD4440. Came to me complaining of power loss?? I went to investigate. No squealing or whining coming from the system which uses it's own PTO pump...... Hmmmmmm...... Took about 30 minutes of tedious investigation...... Found it. He had the 3pt lever in the raised position. The backhoe hitch system prevents the 3pt arms from lifting. Odd that the tractor displayed no odd noises. Just didn't have as much power. :)

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #4  
There is some compact point dissipating a lot of power.
,,,,,,, With tractor idling @ ~1500 feel for rapid heating in some part of hyd circuit.

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached
Will take pictures of loader valves today.
Have internet in town but tractor is at farm.
Sorry for delays.
Appreciate help and ideas.

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #6  
Here is a manual for the 5210, what loader do you have? Have you ever had the loader on the tractor before and working?

I would try and see, if the loader arms or the bucket is the issue. Disconnect the bucket and leave disconnected and see what happens. If this makes a difference put the loader arms on the bucket SCV and see what happens.

Try putting the 3PT level in the middle position, incase the 3PT is the issue. The hydraulics for the loader and 3PT for lack of a better term use the same hydraulic circuit. I have attached a picture of the hydraulic system that might help.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE71736_19/
540 Loader
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW44993_19/

Attachments

• hydraulic_system.jpg
    hydraulic_system.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 154
The machine has the 521 loader.
I ran the tractor yesterday and started up fine but again started losing power and unable to maintain rpms.
Disconnected the loader hydraulics and tractor ran fine.
Did note heat buildup at quick connects where hydraulic lines come into loader valves.
If it matters, the loader works fine and seems to be less load on engine when loader being moved up or down or curl without a load on it.
In these pictures the hydraulic lines to the loader valves were disconnected.
Again, I am very grateful for all the help.
I have never worked on hydraulics but it seems like a relief type valve in the loader controls are my problem but I may be way off base. Do I need to just take this in to repair shop or is there something I could clean out and get it functioning.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #8  
The machine has the 521 loader.
I ran the tractor yesterday and started up fine but again started losing power and unable to maintain rpms.
Disconnected the loader hydraulics and tractor ran fine.
Did note heat buildup at quick connects where hydraulic lines come into loader valves.
If it matters, the loader works fine and seems to be less load on engine when loader being moved up or down or curl without a load on it.
In these pictures the hydraulic lines to the loader valves were disconnected.
Again, I am very grateful for all the help.
I have never worked on hydraulics but it seems like a relief type valve in the loader controls are my problem but I may be way off base. Do I need to just take this in to repair shop or is there something I could clean out and get it functioning.

View attachment 480608View attachment 480609View attachment 480610View attachment 480611
The out port on the valve block appears to be plugged. The fluid has to flow back to the sump when not being used to control the loader - and the out port, if connected to the return line, would do this. You need to find the return line and tee the valve out into it. Do not continue running the tractor while this remains unresolved.

,,,,,Have you asked your dad about it?

When I disconnected the hydraulic lines to the loader, I connected the IN line to the OUT line and put the rubber caps over the exposed quick connects on the loader valve. In the second picture you can the IN and OUT lines connected to each other. I assumed that was the thing to do because when I disconnected the loader I lost 3 pt lift. Once I connected the IN line to the OUT line, 3 pt lift arms started working again. I think that is what you meant when you said the out was plugged.
Again I don't know much about hydros. I'm trying to learn and solve a problem.
I apologize if I'm not making sense.
Also, what does "open center" mean?

/ Tractor losing power after loader attached #10  
Open center lets fluid flow through the valve unimpeded when the valve levers are centered. ... From your explanation above Ill then assume the loader valve is not hooked up to pressure in the pics. -- When the loader is hooked up (blue IN, yellow OUT I assume) does the 3ph work?