Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I suspect there is a way... and if not, there should be.

I've read the manual... I've looked it up (or attempted to) online without success.

Recently I purchased a hydraulically elevating drag blade. I love it... but the biggest hassel is finding the correct depth after raising it to dump trash etc. I find I am either digging deep requiring me to fix the mistake or skimming too high, doing nothing more than burning diesel and daylight.

It is hooked up to my main hydraulic valve. This setup has a float option, if that makes any difference.

I simply don't know how to set up a 'depth' level for hydraulics. We never had the option on a 4020 other than a little stop to set 3point depth. And, I spend an inordinate amount of time screwing around with depth each and every time I raise the blade.

Tractor:
JD 5100e with FEL
2 hydraulic valves in the back. 1 with float function.

Equipment is a single cylinder 12ft drag blade with works fantastically for what I need, but requires precise depth every time. I'm also going to need this when I use my new (to me) 6yd scraper.
My goal is to be able to simply 'push it down' and it will go to the correct depth for skimming the highspots and filling low. I want to be able to push it 'further' should I desire, but mainly, I want it to return to the same depth after I raise it.

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees
Is that just a hard stop that is placed on the cylinder?

Won't allow it to 'go beyond' that point, physically?

I wish those would work, but I want to maintain the option to 'dig deeper' should I need it.

I really thought/think there is a way to make the tractor hydraulics do it... I just can't figure out how.

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #4  
The 3pt has an internal feedback system so the lever controls the height directly, but if I'm hearing correctly, you're using a remote to run the cylinder that sets depth, not the 3point hitch. Unfortunately, there is no way to repeat a cylinder setting via the remote valves... They only control flow into or out of the cylinder that's plugged into them. If you detent them forward, then they flow constant and the cylinder just keeps extending or retracting until it bottoms.

The only simple way to make the system easier to use is to add some sort of "measuring stick", like the bucket level indicator, which you would still have to manually control via the remote valves. Or figure out how to position the cylinder via remotes, then use the height of the 3pt hitch to raise and lower it, so you can return the 3pt height lever to the same place each time. ??

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #5  
Yes it will be a hard stop and will take multiples of those clamps to get the stop where you want it.
I've sen some people put a drawbar between the lift arms and control height in small amounts by raising or lowering the lift arms. Maybe put a series of clamps on the cylinder then use the lift arms to feather your height.

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees
Hmmm... It seems simple enough for a tractor to do. Measure the amount of flow through the valve. But... I never thought about it until I tried to make it happen.

Seems like there is a need... and I need to be a $$$Millionaire$$$ or perhaps $Hundredaire$... might have to figure this one out and begin selling it. I'll work on that between farm, work, and woman.... sheesh.

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #7  
Maybe some smallish pneumatic gauge wheels at fairly low pressure, cantilevered out a ways behind the blade? Just touch them down with the hydraulics for a light cut; mash them down harder for a more aggressive cut?

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #8  
I keep seeing the title of this thread, and thinking about one of my favorite jokes... Or one of the only ones I know, anyway...

A man visits his doctor with a troubling situation...
"Tell me what's going on." says the doctor.
"Well I'm confused, and I just can't get over the feeling that I'm a teepee, then a wigwam, then a teepee, then a wigwam, then a teepee, then a wigwam..."
"Hey, relax!" interrupts the doctor "You're two tents".

:)

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #9  
I suspect there is a way... and if not, there should be.

I've read the manual... I've looked it up (or attempted to) online without success.

Recently I purchased a hydraulically elevating drag blade. I love it... but the biggest hassel is finding the correct depth after raising it to dump trash etc. I find I am either digging deep requiring me to fix the mistake or skimming too high, doing nothing more than burning diesel and daylight.

It is hooked up to my main hydraulic valve. This setup has a float option, if that makes any difference.

I simply don't know how to set up a 'depth' level for hydraulics. We never had the option on a 4020 other than a little stop to set 3point depth. And, I spend an inordinate amount of time screwing around with depth each and every time I raise the blade.

Tractor:
JD 5100e with FEL
2 hydraulic valves in the back. 1 with float function.

Equipment is a single cylinder 12ft drag blade with works fantastically for what I need, but requires precise depth every time. I'm also going to need this when I use my new (to me) 6yd scraper.
My goal is to be able to simply 'push it down' and it will go to the correct depth for skimming the highspots and filling low. I want to be able to push it 'further' should I desire, but mainly, I want it to return to the same depth after I raise it.
The only thing I know of that will do what you want is a GPS controlled system that will automatically raise and lower the scraper to scrap the high spots and dump into the low spots. I think you may get one for $50grand but it may be a little more than that.

Otherwise you just need to learn to operate your tractor and adjust the cut by the amount of traction that you are getting OR the amount of depth that you want if you have the power and traction to pull it. Don't use the float on the cylinder, slow lower the pan till it is loading up nicely but not stalling or slipping the tires too much. Then as you are travelling just bump the controls up or down slightly to maintain the cut you want. Nothing short of a GPS controller is going to do what you want. The Speeco blocks can be put on to limit the max depth then the rest is up to the operator to set it by sight, feel and experience.

/ Hydraulic detents... not a couple of teepees #10  
I do it this way. I adjust my rear blade to about 1/4 inch above the area to be graded with my 3-point controls. I use my hydraulic top link to make the final downward adjustment to the perfect cutting depth. When all is "right", I set the stop adjustment knob on the 3-point lever. Then in the future all I have to adjust is the hydraulic top link. A very slight touch to the hydraulic top link control lever will either raise or lower the rear blade slightly.