speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link?

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #1  

Robertesq1

I have a hadraulic top link on the back of my JD 4120. It moves very quickly which makes fine adjustments difficult. Is there a way to slow it down a little?

Thanks, Rob

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #2  
Yes there is. Restrictor fittings. Sometimes called restrictor washers. Do a Google search and see what you come up with.

Be careful about using too small restrictor. If you buy some and they cause your hydraulics to squeal loudly, the hole is too small and your tractor hydraulics is by-passing. That's not good. This can be fixed by drilling larger holes in the restrictor. Enlarge it the smallest amount you can repeatedly until you get to the speed you like the most. As you drill it out, the squeal will go away.

You can also buy adjustable restrictors, although the cost is more significant. The plus side is you can adjust the flow rate. Surprisingly, my 1984 Ford came from the factory with speed adjustable rear remotes!!!! With a simple thumb knob you can change the speed of whatever attachment you are using. :)

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #3  
Restrict down to 1/4" on a 3/8" line should work for you, I think.

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #4  
Not being readily available I simply brazed shut a male/female fitting and then drilled out a 1/8" hole to restrict flow.
Worked just fine and I could always enlarge the hole for more flow if needed.

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #5  
We sell some simple and cheap inline restrictors in both 1/4" and 1/2" NPT thread.

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #6  
I bet that Brian at Fit-Rite could fix you up with any of the options.....

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link?
Do I need to post pics for correct parts

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link? #9  
Do I need to post pics for correct parts

Nope, all you need to offer is the size of your couplers and hoses. An add-on restrictor goes between your hydraulic coupler and the hose. So a provider needs to know the sizes.

/ speed adjustment on JD hydraulic top-link?
Ok! I have a jd 4120. Not sure of the size. I guess I will post a pic. Also does it matter where the restrictor is placed. I don't have much clearance and would like to mount them on the hydraulic.