Bent hydraulic cylinder piston

/ Bent hydraulic cylinder piston #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
Can someone please advise if straightening a bent piston has worked. This happened when the front blade hit something immovable and a weld holding the under-slung arm broke. The blade swung sideways and bent the piston into a distinct curve.

I have another piston that appears to be an identical size - it ram was "repaired" and leaks - the pig in the workshop refused to fix it so I bought a new one - the one now damaged!

So the options are

1. Replace the whole unit at a cost of nearly $400 - too much for me at present
2. Swap the new bent piston for the old one but maybe this is too big a job without the proper tools
3. Ditto, but get a workshop to do it - the local one is unreliable and it is a long way to the next town
4. See if the current piston can be straightened

Any advice appreciated

Alan

/ Bent hydraulic cylinder piston #2  
Usually swapping out a ram isn't that difficult. Might take a bit of studying to see how it's held together. Some screw in but most are held with a snap ring of some kind. I'd start with disassembling the bent one. You will probably need it removed to try straightening it anyway.

I think you can straighten it using a hydraulic press. Problem will be not denting it or scarring the surface to the point that it takes out the seal. Being exactly straight isn't as important as you might think. With all that said, understand it will be much easier to bend the second time.

Let us know how this ends.

/ Bent hydraulic cylinder piston #4  
Tractor rods are fairly easy to bend straight with a press I've done 3 or 4 using wood blocks under them ( hardwood is best) & a piece of brass for the top if you have it but I've done it with out. Checked with a straight edge and had them fairly close but not perfect within a few thou. and never had a problem with leaks.

/ Bent hydraulic cylinder piston #5  
I bent the ram on my loader curl cylinders, both of them. Buddy of mine looked them over and decided giving hardened rod a try might be a better idea, so I had them done.

/ Bent hydraulic cylinder piston
Thanks guys

I'll try removing the piston from the cylinder - appears to have grub screws holding the lower end in place, then take the piston to a shop where they have a 40 ton press - glad to hear the tolerances are not too fussy

/ Bent hydraulic cylinder piston #7  
I have straightened a bunch of them. BUT be aware if it is a hardened rod like most are you have a chance of them breaking and when they do it is not pretty. If the rod has to be bent over a couple of inches I will not do it anymore. I always cover them with a blanket just in case one does snap. CJ