restricting flow

/ restricting flow #1  

fishhead

Gold Member
i have a jd 3720 and a pronovost pull snow blower, at operating speeds the chute rotation is way way too fast and the diverter action is also too quick. I have been thinking of restricting the flow but wondering about the best way to accomplish it. I see that there are fixed orifices and variable - seems like the variable ones are somewhat pricey. suggestions? If fixed what would be the best size to try?

Do i need to do all new lines or could i just do a short piece with male and female quick disconnects and use that in between the tractor and the existing blower lines?

What is the name and size of the quick disconnect that comes standard on the 4th and 5th outlets on a jd 3 series?

thanks all

/ restricting flow #3  
It's going to take a very small hole in the orifice since the cylinders are probably small bore. I'm guessing 1/32" (.031") diameter or even less to get it slowed.

/ restricting flow
the rotator is actually a motor, i'll try to come up with a bore size on the spout tomorrow

and thanks

/ restricting flow #5  
The solution depends on $ and how precise you want to tailor the speeds. A fixed orifice is cheap, non-adjustable and affects both directions equally which will result in different extend/retract speeds for cylinders. Next up would be a single adjustable orifice. And the uber set-up would be a variable orifice/check set-up which would allow independent speed settings for both directions.

If you want cheap, what I've done several times is tap the ID of an adapter fitting in the circuit and install a plug with thread lock. Then just drill your desired orifice size in the center of the plug.

ISZ

/ restricting flow #6  
I usually just tap out the inside of a fitting an screw in a bolt.Then saw off the bolt and drill a small hole in the center. If you want the speed to be the same in both directions, you need to meter flow in and out. You will need to fix both fittings on the motor and use two different size holes. To get it just right, start out really small and work your way up in drill size. The fix only cost pennies for a soft bolt and your time to tap and drill.

/ restricting flow #7  
As mentioned, the cheapest way is to install an orifice type fixed restrictor. The problem with that is what size orifice you need is trial and error. Surplus Center has adjustable flow control valve that are not that expensive ($25-35 range). This one is for 1/2" line but they have smaller and larger valves if your lines are different size.

1/2 NPT 15 GPM PRINCE WFC-8 IN-LINE FLOW CONTROL

/ restricting flow #8  
If this is a motor you may need a flow control with free reverse flow in each line to prevent damage to the motor seals. Depending on the motor style you can possibly use two orifices of equal size in the lines.

/ restricting flow
thanks all

when i read the description of that valve i notice that it restricts flow in only one direction , so then 2 would be required?

Not sure i am up to the drill and tap approach- the pressures involved in hydraulics seem to intimidate me. Also these lines don't seem to have a fitting i could add a drilled spacer/disc to

if i did spring for a variable flow valve would the approach of making it removable- and usable with other implements via disconnects be a good idea or bad?

the diverter cylinder is 2.5in bore 4 in stroke

the motor is supposed to be a model MLHP 125- seems that the 125 is the cc per revolution (roughly 7.5 cu in) it drives a 9 tooth sprocket the chute has 34 teeth
if i aimed for say 2 seconds from one stop to the other
seems like 125 cc times gearing of (34/9) times 30 cycles per minute divided by 3785 (cc per gallon us)- roughly 3.75 gpm- does that seem right?

As mentioned, the cheapest way is to install an orifice type fixed restrictor. The problem with that is what size orifice you need is trial and error. Surplus Center has adjustable flow control valve that are not that expensive ($25-35 range). This one is for 1/2" line but they have smaller and larger valves if your lines are different size.

1/2 NPT 15 GPM PRINCE WFC-8�� IN-LINE FLOW CONTROL

/ restricting flow
so if my desired flow is that much and rated flow is 8.6 or so, why can't i just feather the lever and get it to move slowly ?
are the 4th and 5th scv just not very proportional?

thanks all

when i read the description of that valve i notice that it restricts flow in only one direction , so then 2 would be required?

Not sure i am up to the drill and tap approach- the pressures involved in hydraulics seem to intimidate me. Also these lines don't seem to have a fitting i could add a drilled spacer/disc to

if i did spring for a variable flow valve would the approach of making it removable- and usable with other implements via disconnects be a good idea or bad?

the diverter cylinder is 2.5in bore 4 in stroke

the motor is supposed to be a model MLHP 125- seems that the 125 is the cc per revolution (roughly 7.5 cu in) it drives a 9 tooth sprocket the chute has 34 teeth
if i aimed for say 2 seconds from one stop to the other
seems like 125 cc times gearing of (34/9) times 30 cycles per minute divided by 3785 (cc per gallon us)- roughly 3.75 gpm- does that seem right?