Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve?

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I noticed that WR Long says their 3rd Function Valve kit cannot be used for continuous applications (hydraulic auger, for example) because it will over-heat. Is that true with other common valves? Kubota factory valve?

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #2  
Inquiring minds want to know... Have an OEM 3rd function on my Kubota L4060. Picking up a plow shortly, but that's intermittent. Curious about the viability to use the 3rd function for a PHD auger or fix up my busted 3pt cement mixer as a hydraulically spun SSQA mount down the road at some point.

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #3  
I noticed that WR Long says their 3rd Function Valve kit cannot be
used for continuous applications (hydraulic auger, for example) because it will over-heat.

First I have heard that. The Long valves I have seen are all solenoid-operated diverters. So-called
"electric-over-hydraulic" spool valves. Did they say that the fluid would overheat, or the solenoid?

All the solenoid valves I buy have 100% duty-cycle coils, so that is not likely to be what they are
talking about. If, however, the valve has a flow rating lower than your tractor puts out (about 9GPM
for the MX), then it will heat the fluid if asked to run continuously and under pressure.

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #4  
Don't know about the WR Long valve but I am sure that Kubota's valve is capable of running the implements both of you mention. I have run my 110 valves for drilling deep post holes in rocky ground for several minutes at a time.

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #5  
First I have heard that. The Long valves I have seen are all solenoid-operated diverters. So-called
"electric-over-hydraulic" spool valves. Did they say that the fluid would overheat, or the solenoid?

All the solenoid valves I buy have 100% duty-cycle coils, so that is not likely to be what they are
talking about. If, however, the valve has a flow rating lower than your tractor puts out (about 9GPM
for the MX), then it will heat the fluid if asked to run continuously and under pressure.

WRL has both a diverter and a "true 3rd function" valve.

I guess you have to define "continuous" too, because I would not consider a HPHD to be "continuous" since it generally takes only a few seconds or a minute to drill a hole

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve?
Around here it can take a long time to dig a post hole. I'll often sit on a single rock for several minutes, grinding away to see if I can break through. (Not usually, but sometimes it works...)

Here is the quote:

Our valve is made for momentary use like open / close or left / right operation. It is not made for rotary implements like augers. The valve has a extremely tight tolerance and if held down to use a rotary attachment it will heat up and swell causing the valve to seize. Thanks!

-Josh Nabb, W R Long, Inc.

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #7  
Around here it can take a long time to dig a post hole. I'll often sit on
a single rock for several minutes, grinding away to see if I can break through. (Not usually, but sometimes it works...)

Yeah, rocks are so common here, you usually can't use a PHD at all. If you hire the pros, I have seen
them take minutes per hole.

Momentary use is intermittantly operating cylinders; continuously flow is any hydraulic rotary
motor. Even running a hyd motor that is not working real hard will heat the oil up fast
if the valve is sized smaller than optimum.

Similarly, I run my hyd mixer at low speed thru smaller-than-optimal hoses and they
really heat up.

Long has just used small valves. I do that too, on my 4-in-1 bkt, but not for motors.

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #8  
Around here it can take a long time to dig a post hole. I'll often sit on a single rock for several minutes, grinding away to see if I can break through. (Not usually, but sometimes it works...)

Here is the quote:

Our valve is made for momentary use like open / close or left / right operation. It is not made for rotary implements like augers. The valve has a extremely tight tolerance and if held down to use a rotary attachment it will heat up and swell causing the valve to seize. Thanks!

-Josh Nabb, W R Long, Inc.

He is talking about the coil on the valve. Like was stated earlier they obviously are not 100% duty cycle coils. CJ

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #9  
WR Long uses a Hyvair DO3 valve- so I'm told. Hyvair valves do us a continuous duty solenoid. They make valves that will flow from under 8 gpm to over 25gpm. The issue of overheating at the valve would then be the result of undersizing the valve to either save space or cost. Or Hyvair valves are not rated correctly- very unlikely!

http://www.hyvair.com/pdf/solenoidd035vlv.pdf

If the failure is an electrical issue that is most likely the result of an undersized switch on the joystick. This would be overcome with a better switch or a relay.

The nice joysticks can be purchased here-

Scorpion Technologies LTD. - S-Series

The joystick and valve are about $100 each. You would then need to make 2 brackets and add the hoses.

Both Hyvair and Scorpion can be contacted directly but I don't think Hyvair sells direct.

/ Continuous use of 3rd Function Valve? #10  
He is talking about the coil on the valve. Like was stated earlier they obviously are not 100% duty cycle coils. CJ

Not according to the valve manufacture....