Algae in my hydraulic fluid

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #1  

fritz423

Tractor
Deere 5520
You guys saved me when I replaced the seals on my JD 520 loader, now I have another issue. Three times now I've had my hydraulics seize up but this last time I took a video of the mess. I'm 90% sure this is algae-there was three reasons for water to get into the system, cracked shifter boots, leaking seals on the loader, and condensation from temperature fluctuations.

I've fixed the boots and seals but it's getting mighty expensive to replace fluid and filters. Do I need an algaecide treatment? Nobody at the Deere place had a clue. I hate to wait for another failure. Can't seem to find a good answer. Working fine for now, it's been a month.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #2  
I've had a similar issue with my JD 3520, green algae in hydraulic fluid. Tractor is kept under shelter. Dealer has no answers. I hope you find a solution to share!

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid
If I can't get an answer here I plan on hammer-calling a Deere engineer until he cries uncle and gives up the answer. I'm buying hydraulic filters in bulk now.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #4  
Get a sample and send off for a analysis.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #5  
That was sure some badly contaminated with water hydraulic fluid. I think if you fix all the places where water can get into the reservoir then you should be good to go.
A little condensation that might be produced will take years to get that much milky fluid and I have never seen algae growing in the hydraulic fluid like you have. I think I would have flushed it with some diesel prior to installing new filters. Then I would have swabbed out the diesel using the filter screen opening before adding oil. Oil and filters get expensive fast.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #6  
What stands out to me is that multiple reservoirs are having the same problem. What are the chances that water is badly leaking into all of these? I'm assuming you don't use your tractor for cranberry farming (lol). Where I live, we get some pretty extreme temperature swings, which cause my tractors to sweat pretty bad. But I've never seen anything like that unless a machine was left sitting out with a way for water to leak in.

On a side note, I have had algae problems with diesel. It was happening when I had my diesel stored in some plastic barrels. It kept clogging the filter on my transfer pump. I switched to a metal tank and the problem went away. I talked to the guy that delivers our fuel, and he said that he has heard some complaints from people that have equipment with large plastic fuel tanks - ones that are stationary for a long time between uses.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #7  
The amount of biocide you use is exceedingly minor, so I don't think it would hurt anything, certainly less so than all that green water.

Go for it.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #8  
I've used the fuel additive with good results. I'm guessing if the growth is bad this will kill everything growing and possibly plug the filters one more time. But using it routinely after that should prevent further issues. Note they say it's moisture that causes this.

For fuel I'd use the other product all the time in fuel storage situations. For vehicle and tractor tanks I'd put the product in about 2 tanks or so of fuel before my filter changes....just in case!

http://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-fuel-additives/transmission-fluid-fuel-additives/

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid #9  
Besides adding biocide to hyd reservoir be sure that the hyd filler cap vent isn't plugged with dirt.

/ Algae in my hydraulic fluid
Thanks for the tips. I've read over the information for BioborJF -it worries me that there is no "official" recommendation from any manufacturer to use it in Hydraulic/transmission fluid although the site does have a page that suggests it works for transmission or any hydrocarbon fluid.

As stated above, I guess the recommended shock treatment would be around an ounce. That's not much.

I'm hoping I've stopped the water sources. I'm tempted to use a shock dose of the BioBorJF, run it for a week, and then replace fluid/filters one last time.