Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
So last year I installed a diverter on my curl circuit on my L45 to control my snowplow and front grapple. The system "works" but with some issues of course:

1. I can only use double acting cylinders.
2. One direction is slow as molasses as the regen sucks.

I used a set of skid steer flat face couplers to keep commonality to a buddy's skid steer so we could share the attachments. From day 1 it has been an absolute nightmare of a struggle to connect 1 side of the circuit. No matter what game I play with trying to relieve the pressure cycling the valve with the machine off, it is never "easy" to connect one side.

I've historically blamed the coupler type, but now I'm wondering if the regen is to blame?

ac

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #2  
I have a diverter on my curl with flat face couplers, mind you it's on a smaller machine but should react the same. The only real issue I've had is relieving pressure will take a couple extra cycles of the joystick to get the pressure off the regen side, it also helps to cycle past the regen detent if possible (I can't remember if the 45 has that ability) as it makes the pressure release quicker.

My QC are on short flex lines so I can see when they relax all the way when releasing pressure, it usually takes 6 or more cycles to get the regen side to release its pressure.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #3  
If the machine is off when you relieve pressure on the system, then "regen" is not to blame.
One thing I've seen though is trying to relive the pressure when the diverter is NOT powered, so then the pressure is not relived in the "diverted" circuit since it can't cycle-but it sounds like you understand that.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble
Yeah I always have the key "on" with the machine not running. I make sure I can HEAR the diverter clicking in so I know I am actually doing something.

I guess I'll just try more equalization cycles. I always connect the implement connectors together when they aren't connected to the machine.

It was just odd to me that it is always the female connector on the machine that is the troublesome one.

ac

PS I wish the L45 had the detent past regen, but it does not. This makes my angle right take forever on the snow plow and means my grapple has no power to squish a load. Like I said, I'll either be moving this over to the lift circuit or abandoning the diverter for a true 3rd this summer.

ac

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #5  
PS I wish the L45 had the detent past regen, but it does not. This makes my angle right take forever on the snow plow and means my grapple has no power to squish a load. Like I said, I'll either be moving this over to the lift circuit or abandoning the diverter for a true 3rd this summer.

ac

Yeah it seams all the "L" models only have 3-way valves, a poor decision by Kubota on where to cut cost's.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #6  
Yeah it seams all the "L" models only have 3-way valves, a poor decision by Kubota on where to cut cost's.
Yup. My L3200 was like that. My new L4060 is labeled with regen dump then power dump all the way to the right. Ordered it with a 3rd function though so the diverter aspect there is rather moot.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #7  
Yeah I always have the key "on" with the machine not running. I make sure I can HEAR the diverter clicking in so I know I am actually doing something.

I guess I'll just try more equalization cycles. I always connect the implement connectors together when they aren't connected to the machine.

It was just odd to me that it is always the female connector on the machine that is the troublesome one.

ac

ac

Had similar issues...no squish power with the diverter. I went to 3rd function and move the diverter to the back, adding a valve back there.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #8  
My L3400 had the 4th position on the dump for power dump (non-regen).

My new MX5100....only a 3-pos valve.

When I got my grapple hooked up, same issue, no closing power. IT was simple to change it over to the lift circuit, which I actually like better for grapple work. And no issues with a truck plow with a pair of SA cylinders.

I too hate the flat faced couplers. As I always had a bear of a time re-hooking them also. I think its in their design to NOT spill any fluid. Where a standard ag coupler drips a few drops.....that relieves just enough pressure to make things easy to hook back up. Connect-under-pressure couplers would be about the only flat faced option I would like. But as a work around, since my diverter is installed on the lift/lower circuit, and its wired to the trigger on the controller.....I simply shut the tractor off, wrap a rubber band around the joystick that squeezes the trigger, (turn key on to supply power to diverter) and detent the loader in float. Makes hooking them flat face couplers a breeze.

Not sure what you mean by angling slow to the right. Regen is supposed to be fast cycle.....reduced power. Not a slower cycle.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #9  
Not sure what you mean by angling slow to the right. Regen is supposed to be fast cycle.....reduced power. Not a slower cycle.
Not sure how things are connected, but regen will only work in one direction. If he is using the regen spool of his valve to power the angle, then it would be in regen in extend direction, but would not be in regen in the retract direction of the cyl.

/ Diverter Regen Coupler Trouble #10  

Since there is no real mechanical advantage on a snow plow or grapple-unlike there is with a full bucket helping to "pull" the cylinders open, the functions are indeed much slower since both sides of the cylinder is pressurized.