Veteran Member
    Tractor
    '78 Kubota B6100DT

Default Hydraulic Hose replacement

The the outer covering is deteriorated crumbling off down to the cords on the hydraulic hose from the pump to the SCV block on my old kubota so I've decided to replace it. The new one is on order.

I was laying out my "plan of attack" this weekend and have run up to this question:

Niether end of the hose has a quick disconnect, nor does either end appear to have any kind of a swivel, and there's no union in the middle. It would seem, then that as one end of the hose screws in, the other end will unscrew.

How do hydraulic hoses deal with that? Are the opposite ends reverse threaded or something?

Thanks

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Default Re: Hydraulic Hose replacement

Both ends are right hand threaded. One end should have a swivel.

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

The fitting on the hydraulic hose should at a minimum swivel as you take it off. If not, just unscrew them and let it twist. When you get the new ones, get a swivel-nut jobby (great term, eh?) to put in between when you re-install the new one.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas

On a similar thread......

I want to replace all of the hoses on my FEL due to the same deterioration issues. How do I measure the length of the hose for ordering? The length of the actual hose material, or to the end of the fittings?

Thanks,
    Dave

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

Just take the hoses off, and have them make them exactly the same. That way, if they are not correct, you can blame them.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    M6800 4wd

Just take them off and go to a hydraulic store and have them make new ones.Mark em so you know where they go or just take several off and have them made,put em on and then take some more off and have em made.I had one spring a leak on my tractor so I went to a The Hrdraulic Store here and they made me another one with new fittings and a heavier hose too.When one goes it starts.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

I was surprised to find that my local Napa auto parts store will make them. You might check with yours before driving very far to get hoses made somewhere else. It wasn't too expensive, either.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    '78 Kubota B6100DT

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just take them off and go to a hydraulic store and have them make new ones. )</font>

Well, I should have listened to your advice. I ordered a replacement hose based on the part description in my kubota Loader Manual parts list - " 56" - 1/2 NPT " and a cursory look at the hose. It "looked" like the fittings were about 1/2" wide.

Well, as you all know and I just found out, a 1/2" NPT fitting is actually 3/4" wide. The hose on the tractor, in spite of what the loader manual parts list says is NOT 1/2" NPT.

On closer inspection/measurement, the fittings on the ends of my deteriorating hose are more like 3/8" wide.

Like I said, I think I'll just take your advice and take the old hose to a hydraulic shop and have them make one like it.

But just to expand my knowledge - what "size" hose has a NPT fitting that's about 3/8" wide.??

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace

Tractor
    Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader

If you go to www.hydraulichosefittings.com (a TBN advertiser) they have a thread sizing guide that you can print out and use to determine the male pipe size by just placing the male end on the circle diagram on the printout. Its very handy and would have helped in your situation.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH2120 RTV500 Bobcat S250

TSC stocks all sorts of hydraulic hoses and fittings. I bought a 60" X 3/8" hose just so I had a spare in case of a blowout.