Newby needing help

/ Newby needing help #1  

bdw9862

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM146
I decided to build a towable backhoe. I have never fabricated nor welded anything and don't know anything about hydraulics so I figured this was a good way to learn (or create very heavy yard art). I didn't want to buy any plans, yes my wife thinks I am crazy as well. As with all my projects, nobody is more surprised than me if it works. I have the boom and about 1/2 of the frame done and need some help with the hydraulics. I will have outriggers both front and back and plan on a non hydraulic thumb. I would like to use 2 1/2 to 3 inch cylinders a 10 horse HF gas engine and a 5 to 6 gallon pump and 10 gallon tank, open system. I would like to use two joystick valves for left and right and the two boom cylinders. I just don't really understand how to plumb. I have done multiple searches on here but not much luck.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

/ Newby needing help #2  
I decided to build a towable backhoe. I have never fabricated nor welded anything and don't know anything about hydraulics so I figured this was a good way to learn (or create very heavy yard art). I didn't want to buy any plans, yes my wife thinks I am crazy as well. As with all my projects, nobody is more surprised than me if it works. I have the boom and about 1/2 of the frame done and need some help with the hydraulics. I will have outriggers both front and back and plan on a non hydraulic thumb. I would like to use 2 1/2 to 3 inch cylinders a 10 horse HF gas engine and a 5 to 6 gallon pump and 10 gallon tank, open system. I would like to use two joystick valves for left and right and the two boom cylinders. I just don't really understand how to plumb. I have done multiple searches on here but not much luck.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

I'am voting with your wife, I have done a decent amount of welding and FAB work over 35yrs, but you are getting really deep here-Man I wish you good luck, you are working with some DANGER involved.

/ Newby needing help #3  
Some info.

Hydraulics 101

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...hydraulic-basics-post4270833.html#post4270833

I have done multiple searches on here but not much luck

Did you use the custom search feature: Search Results | Compact tractor forums, news, reviews, information.

search.jpg

/ Newby needing help #4  
I used to know a guy who made himself a cherry picker for the back of his logging truck. He knew his welding wasn't good, so he tacked it up and took it to a friend who could really weld, and had him do the real welding. The design part is easy. The cutting and welding is where things will get tough- especially as you find yourself saying "good enough" when your welds aren't penetrating like they should.
Plans are good- get some clues on the geometry and materials. But there is nothing like doing to learn.
Northern Tool used to provide good info re cylinders/gpm/ pumps/motor hp.

/ Newby needing help
I used to know a guy who made himself a cherry picker for the back of his logging truck. He knew his welding wasn't good, so he tacked it up and took it to a friend who could really weld, and had him do the real welding. The design part is easy. The cutting and welding is where things will get tough- especially as you find yourself saying "good enough" when your welds aren't penetrating like they should.
Plans are good- get some clues on the geometry and materials. But there is nothing like doing to learn.
Northern Tool used to provide good info re cylinders/gpm/ pumps/motor hp.

Yep, did try the search tool, perhaps I should say I found lots of information but am trying to size the system correctly. Not attached to tractor PTO which is what I find the most information on. Yes I read Hydraulics 101 good stuff. Yes I know why I shouldn't do this but am going to anyway. Yes, I think I am getting very good penetration on my welds. They are not pretty but I am very aware that poor welds will show up immediately. At this stage I am more of a grinder than a welder. A little more information was my father was a professional welder and tried to teach me, I was more interested in woman and cars unfortunately. Wish I had payed better attention but did pay some.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Newby needing help #6  
Since this will be an open center system (I.e. flow is moving all the time) you will need to connect all of your valves in series. All of your valves must have the power beyond feature to do this. Pressure will go the first valve. Power beyond of the first valve will go to pressure of the second valve. Power beyond of the second valve will go to pressure of the third valve (Out riggers), etc..

All of the valves tank ports can be connected together.

/ Newby needing help
Since this will be an open center system (I.e. flow is moving all the time) you will need to connect all of your valves in series. All of your valves must have the power beyond feature to do this. Pressure will go the first valve. Power beyond of the first valve will go to pressure of the second valve. Power beyond of the second valve will go to pressure of the third valve (Out riggers), etc..

All of the valves tank ports can be connected together.

Thank you kind sir.

/ Newby needing help #8  
I would go with a little bigger pump

/ Newby needing help
OK, but when I check speed on single cylinders I think gets pretty fast with a bigger pump, with the joysticks I understand I will sometimes be moving two cylinders at once.....

/ Newby needing help #10  
Tons of Videos on home built Towable backhoes on YouTube !!