Old MF 50 hydraulics quit working

/ Old MF 50 hydraulics quit working #1  

jjaaam

Tractor
John Deere 1020
Hello,

I have a 1959 MF50 that has seen better days. Recently I was using the rear blade on my driveway and the three point lift quit working. The front loader doesn't work either.

If I actuate the valve I can see the three point move slightly but that's it.

I'm a tractor idiot so any ideas would help. I didn't pay that much for it so I'd hate to throw a ton of money at it.

Any ideas?

/ Old MF 50 hydraulics quit working #2  
Sounds like you lost pressure. Start with the easy stuff. When did you last change the hydraulic oil and filter? I had similar symptoms and a change of the oil and filter resolved the problem. My filter was on the suction side so I assume the pump was starved. Next step would be to check the pressure from the pump with a gauge.

/ Old MF 50 hydraulics quit working #3  
loosen a pressurepipe an see if theres flow....look at pumpcoupler....mybe stripped .

/ Old MF 50 hydraulics quit working
Sounds like you lost pressure. Start with the easy stuff. When did you last change the hydraulic oil and filter? I had similar symptoms and a change of the oil and filter resolved the problem. My filter was on the suction side so I assume the pump was starved. Next step would be to check the pressure from the pump with a gauge.

As I noted, I'm not very well versed on these. The oil was changed just within the last year. I have no idea about a filter. I've heard that some models have one and some do not. From my research if there IS a filter it is mounted to the pump that is located under the top cover of the 3-point below the seat, and that it isn't easily changed. So...if the filter needs to be changed then how do I do it without spending a $$$ to get someone to do it? Because if that's all it is then I'm home free.