Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
I may be purchasing a 12' Befco cyclone flex batwing finish mower to use with a Ford 3000 gas tractor. It uses three single acting cylinders to raise the three decks. It requires the tractors remotes to have float functionality. I do not currently have any hydraulic remotes on my tractor.

The kits I am finding don't have float.

Questions:
What if any kit should I be looking for?
Does using only one of two ports due to this being an SA equipped unit cause any issues?
General: if something says detente does that always mean float?
Thank you

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #2  
Open Center (fluid flows through unit continuously till you move a valve and divert it) type Cross controls sold by TSC is what I have used. You need an adapter plate for the top of the hyd section of the tractor.....fits that 2x4" (roughly) plate having 1 big bolt and half a dozen small ones right in front of the seat to give you access to the hyd tube that runs from the pump to the 3 pt. I got a used one from my NH dealer when I did my 3000 for about $75 as I recall. Get the seals when you get the adapter.....ebay may have them. You just lift it up, stick the adapter, with oring seals installed, under it and bolt it back down. I don't remember if I had to get 1" longer bolts or if the OEM were long enough to reach through. No biggie, just get some if you need them. The big bolt on top serves no purpose for this so don't worry about it.

Run a hose from the right side of that adapter to your IN port on a double or single controller (with float if you want it) and the OUT port of the controller goes back to the front facing port on the adapter.

There can be some interacting with your 3 pt and I don't remember what it is but you can figure it out. If you are diverting flow to an implement don't expect the 3 pt to work till you release the aux diversion lever. I never had an interaction problem with mine. I wasn't doing/attempting to do 2 things at once. I mounted my controller on the left side of the seat on a bracket I fabricated and attached to the axle housing on that side. Made it real handy.

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower
Open Center (fluid flows through unit continuously till you move a valve and divert it) type Cross controls sold by TSC is what I have used. You need an adapter plate for the top of the hyd section of the tractor.....fits that 2x4" (roughly) plate having 1 big bolt and half a dozen small ones right in front of the seat to give you access to the hyd tube that runs from the pump to the 3 pt. I got a used one from my NH dealer when I did my 3000 for about $75 as I recall. Get the seals when you get the adapter.....ebay may have them. You just lift it up, stick the adapter, with oring seals installed, under it and bolt it back down. I don't remember if I had to get 1" longer bolts or if the OEM were long enough to reach through. No biggie, just get some if you need them. The big bolt on top serves no purpose for this so don't worry about it.

Run a hose from the right side of that adapter to your IN port on a double or single controller (with float if you want it) and the OUT port of the controller goes back to the front facing port on the adapter.

There can be some interacting with your 3 pt and I don't remember what it is but you can figure it out. If you are diverting flow to an implement don't expect the 3 pt to work till you release the aux diversion lever. I never had an interaction problem with mine. I wasn't doing/attempting to do 2 things at once. I mounted my controller on the left side of the seat on a bracket I fabricated and attached to the axle housing on that side. Made it real handy.

Thank you for this information. Does it matter which port the single hyd. line from the implement with SA cylinders gets connected to? When no implements are connected, do I need a short piece of hose to connect the two ports together?

I did call a used tractor parts store and they have a used OEM setup with float for $350. I might get that because I know it should work?

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #4  
It seems that you guys have the hydraulics mostly worked out. However, I'm not sure that putting a 12' mower on a Ford 3000 would be the best idea. It would probably work if you are mowing an area very often. Any amout of heavy grass is going to stop that tractor in a hurry! I have a 9' finish mower that I use on my 4610. If I am going to be getting into heavy unmowed areas, it works the 4610 really hard, so I generally use the 7600 instead.

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #5  
It seems that you guys have the hydraulics mostly worked out. However, I'm not sure that putting a 12' mower on a Ford 3000 would be the best idea. It would probably work if you are mowing an area very often. Any amout of heavy grass is going to stop that tractor in a hurry! I have a 9' finish mower that I use on my 4610. If I am going to be getting into heavy unmowed areas, it works the 4610 really hard, so I generally use the 7600 instead.

I second that even if it were a Diesel that's a lot of mower

I second that even if it were a Diesel that's a lot of mower

I am looking at a Befco Cyclone Flex 17-212-706. That is a 12' batwing style finish mower, with 2-4' decks and 1-5' deck. It requires 25-80 PTO HP. Here is information on the newest iteration: BEFCO - Cyclone Flex (25-8 HP tractor)

The Ford 3000 is 37 hp at the PTO and 47 engine.

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #7  
Thank you for this information. Does it matter which port the single hyd. line from the implement with SA cylinders gets connected to? When no implements are connected, do I need a short piece of hose to connect the two ports together?

I did call a used tractor parts store and they have a used OEM setup with float for $350. I might get that because I know it should work?
If in good working order, that is your best deal. You'd be surprised how fast the dollar amount skyrockets when you are putting one together from scratch.

On a jumper hose, if the have the input and output hooked up you will obviously have pressurized fluid available for the load ports. Any wear on the piston to cylinder will result in some leaking. A jumper wouldn't be a bad idea if you have the hose.

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #8  
I am looking at a Befco Cyclone Flex 17-212-706. That is a 12' batwing style finish mower, with 2-4' decks and 1-5' deck. It requires 25-80 PTO HP. Here is information on the newest iteration: BEFCO - Cyclone Flex (25-8 HP tractor)

The Ford 3000 is 37 hp at the PTO and 47 engine.

Mine is the '65 and I thought you were high on your numbers, like the posted PTO was actually the net engine hp. Tractor data agrees with you . Ha! No wonder that sucker is stout.

I have all of the parts now, it's just a matter of getting it all together. I am trying to find a parts diagram of the hyd valve, but am not having any luck. I sandblasted and painted the block/valve assembly, which has the following numbers: 311805 and a tag with 3-23H. I have a seal kit, which I think is right, but I hate to tear the thing apart without a guide. I do want to flush it out with diesel to make sure no sand found its way in. IMG_3613.JPGIMG_3601.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG

/ Add remote on Ford 3000 for batwing finish mower #10  
Don't you need a sub plate under the valve? I am not sure but was thinking the fords did.