Boom mounted mower

/ Boom mounted mower #1  

breadtrk

Platinum Member
Tractor
XR 3037 HST Cab
I want to build an attachment for my backhoe to replace the bucket with a regular riding mower deck. I can handle the fabrication aspect but I'm 100% in the dark on the hydraulics. The deck is your standard issue murray 2 spindle belt drive. I'm wondering if I should use 2 motors or one that drives the belt and then the spindles. I also have no idea of what size, flow, rpm's, etc would be needed for something like this. I have an LS XR3037 with rear remotes at about 8gpm. For now I'm thinking I'll just stick with the movement limits that a back hoe provides, I'm not wanting to rotate or tilt the deck beyond whatever movement a bucket would have.

/ Boom mounted mower #2  
You don't specify pressure, but "assuming" it is around 2000 psi, 8 gpm gives you under 10 HP to drive the 2 blades. You are going to need more flow, IMO.

/ Boom mounted mower #3  
Why not try out an arrangement which uses a gas motor to run a tow behind mower deck just to see if you really can or want to use something like this.

/ Boom mounted mower
A gas motor isn't going to run at the angles this is going to be used at. I also want to keep the weight down as much as possible. Pressure is right at 2400lbs, the mower this 42" deck comes from had a 17hp engine and I imaging a significant amount of that power was used to propel the mower.

/ Boom mounted mower #5  
Assuming 100% efficiency, that puts you at 11 hp. It actually takes less to propel than you may think.
Biggest power consumer on a rider is the deck

/ Boom mounted mower
I really don't know,, and that is why I came to you guys. Lol