Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #11  
Make a tapered adapter/bushing that will stay with the shaft. And a more nominal sized od that is straight. If you need a different pulley fine, get one with a bore size to match the OD of the tapered adapter.

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #12  
Look for Martin pullies. I know they sell pulley bushings for tapered shafts as I have had to buy a few before. Also, there are vendors on ebay that sell tapered shaft adapters for as little as $9. You would need to measure your shaft taper to know what would fit.

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft
Look for Martin pullies. I know they sell pulley bushings for tapered shafts as I have had to buy a few before. Also, there are vendors on ebay that sell tapered shaft adapters for as little as $9. You would need to measure your shaft taper to know what would fit.

I've been through all these
Bushing Catalogs - Martin Sprocket & Gear

Nothing like a "taper shaft adaptor" in 5/8" that I could see. As mentioned, I started searching with the name brands.

It appears that taper shaft hydro pumps are VERY COMMON for power steering applications.
I have no need or desire to fit an electro-magic clutch, but I'm wondering if the fixed pump pulleys as fitted to autos might follow a "few" standards. Like "US, European, or Asian manufacturers"

I could cut up one of those and mount any new pulley to the hub. OH! Wait, I didn't want to throw all that time into adapting .....
Seems like the best choice is to purchase the 1/2 inch bore, or un-bored and put the taper and key in myself.

Oh Well, It doesn't hurt to ask.

Thinking about the adapter sleeve that stays with the pump shaft. The securing nut would need to both pull the tapers together and secure the pulley to the straight shaft adaptor. The adaptor would need a flange on the base, and not be too long for any future pulley hub. There is not a lot of length to work with, and I assume the pump needs all of the taper's holding power to transmit the drive load. Just swaping for a "Set screw and key" seems a bit "under engineered". Somewhat of a gamble. OH well.

eta shaft length for tapered shaft is .688" for straight shaft of the same class pump, it is .98" that is 1.4 times as long (longer key making up for the taper fit?)

Last edited:
   / Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #14  
I know it's more work, but can you disassemble the pump and turn the shaft straight. Then use a standard taperlock pulley?

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft
I know it's more work, but can you disassemble the pump and turn the shaft straight. Then use a standard taperlock pulley?

I bet that 5/8 inch diameter shaft is sized for the load. A 1/2 inch straight shaft with a key might be on the skimpy side. Hard to tell how much torque you can shove through a 5L belt at maximum pump pressure (prv). It would have a lot to do with belt tension condition and the "relative humidity and prevailing winds" at the moment of failure.

There are so many "work-a-rounds". Wouldn't it be nice if there were someone offering an assortment of pulleys with taper bores at the price point of the finished straight bore versions. ($10-20)

I hate putting so much time into "a hole".

ps

no sense in suggesting that the shaft be built up with weld and then machined straight. Not even interested!

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #16  
How about using a split tapered bushed hub, putting your taper into that and then using a matching pulley. That way if you need to change the size down the road you just get another split tapered​ bushing pulley and you're good to go.
Here is one with a 1/2" bore so you could bore it out to 5/8" other than the taper: .5 KEYED H-BUSHING | Split Taper Bushed Bore Pulley Hubs | Pulleys | Power Transmission | www.surpluscenter.com
Here are a bunch of pulleys for them: Split Taper Bushed Bore Pulleys | Split Taper Bushed Bore Pulleys & Hubs | Pulleys | www.surpluscenter.com

Aaron Z

That may well be an option.
I'm not sure how a taper grips a taper, but the angles are small enough (4 degree 1/2 angle)

I'll pick one up and check it out.

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #18  
That may well be an option.
I'm not sure how a taper grips a taper, but the angles are small enough (4 degree 1/2 angle)

I'll pick one up and check it out.
The one I got for a 1" shaft narrows less than 1/8" in its 1.5" height when you tighten it up. I can try to snag a picture when I get home.

Aaron Z

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #19  
Nope never going to find a taper bore pulley that will fit a pump there not made. Aaron Z has the best idea with cutting the proper taper on a bushing then you can use any QD pulley you want.

/ Been looking for 5L Vee belt pully to direct mount on Hydraulic pump TAPER Shaft #20