Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter #1  

Jelf

Tractor
Kubota L35
I am about to order a 22 ton DirtyHandTools (DHT) 3-point log splitter ($899 woodsplitterdirect, free ship). The plan is to run this splitter by taking the backhoe off my tractor and connecting the backhoe hydralics to the splitter. To do that I need to buy two hoses.

Any advice on what I need to ask for when buying hoses so I get what I need. This is my first trip into the world of hoses and fittings.

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter #2  
First I would suggest you reconsider your plan to power a wood splitter with your tractor hydraulic system.

You are using an expensive machine to do the job an 8 hp or less gas engine could do.

Further, the gas engine unit will have a two stage pump thus providing much faster cycle time for the splitter and have an automatic kick off valve.

I went down the route you are considering. Wood splitting was an all day job. I rented a gas splitter and the increase in production was amazing. Never went back!

Operating a tractor at low power load on the engine can lead to a condition called Diesel Slobber. Diesels do not tolerate high rpm no load operation well and that is what will happen running your hydraulic system from your tractor.

The on line spec's I see for your tractor seem to indicate a hydraulic flow of 8 gpm which is quite low for s splitter
Dave M7040

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter #3  
Justin Robertson at the Hose Company is very helpful. He knows how to figure out what you need for your equipment by just a few questions. Try thehosecompany.com. Hope this helps.

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter
I did go ahead and purchased the DHT splitter. Everyone has different priorities and one of mine was to not have to maintain another small gas engine. Here in the Pacific Northwest we are now in a rare multi-day stretch of no rain and today I ran the splitter for the first time.

Kubota L35s have 2 hydraulic pumps. The one that runs the backhoe/lift-arm circuit operates at 11.5 gpm at rated speed. I ran at 1500 rpm (bit over 1/2 speed) and that was plenty. After a piece was split I moved the control lever on the splitter to auto-return. By the time I reached down and picked up the next piece and put it on the splitter the ram had fully retracted and was ready to go again. Not much point in having the splitter operate any faster than the human end of things.

Today I ran the splitter in horizontal mode. A bit later this week I will pivot it into vertical mode and try it on some big (2' - 3') rounds.

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter #5  
That's when you'll wish you didn't have the 3 point splitter. You might be more of a Hercules than I am but I want no part of wrestling 3 feet diameter rounds. Using the tractor to lift them into the splitter works way easier. You can rip them into smaller pieces with a saw, but splitting them is faster.

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter
Presently the big rounds are standing up. Tipping one over onto a couple of 4x4s is easy. It is also easy to pick the splitter up with the 3-point and backup so the baseplate of the splitter slips under the round. Then split. At least that's the plan.

/ Need hose from Kubota L35 backhoe fittings to DHT log splitter #7  
A good cant hook can make it easier to wrestle them into place. I had a lot of 3' Eucalyptus rounds to move. It's a very heavy dense wood and I'm built like a marathon runner. I got a Woodchuck Dual combo cant hook/peavy and it made moving them so much easier. I had a cant hook from Northern and it was nearly useless.