Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake?

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Has anyone added a hydraulic cylinder to either a blade or landscape rake, on the side to make it swivel left and right? Would this work OK? Maybe there is a commercial item already available. I am talking about the swivel direction that would direct dirt left or right, not a TNT. BTW, I do not see the use in turning the rake all the way around backwards, and I do not use this much range. Just the usual about 30 degrees each way is enough. After using the rake again last night for several hours, it is obvious I do not need the top link cylinder, it can remain fixed, but I would like to have the rake swivel side to side. I bet I jumped off and manually adjusted it 25 times in two hours, even with good planning.
I would appreciate a photo or link pointer to an existing product, for ideas. Thanks!

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #2  
If I remember right RonJHall did this with a rear blade. I can't see why it would not work with a rake...

Maybe Ron could post a picture (hope I remember right) of his rear blade for you. I remember seeing one posted here...not sure in what thread though.

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #4  
jimgerken

As Henro ...aka Bill... near Pgh, PA said, I have a rear blade that has as hydraulic cylinder to change the blades angle. The blade was made to have a cylinder or adjustable link on it. Check out the link below. It has some pictures of my blade and others that have a similar hook up.
Click Here

I have looked at the one that Don posted. My Land Pride Rake will get some like it so I will not have to get off tractor to make the adjustment. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake?
Thanks, these are helpful ideas. I want to try and accomplish it without the linkage. I am guessing a longer stroke cylinder can do this. I need some fittings, then I can try a couple tests to see if my current top link cyl will reach far enough to get 60 degrees of swivel for the KK 60" rake. Will follow up with photos if I get it working. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #6  
One of my summer projects, if I get to it. Is to adapt the two angling cylinders from my snow plow,over to my rake.
In theory it should work just fine. They will be performing an almost identical task as they do while on the snowplow blade. Come winter, I will pull 4 pins and shift the cylinders back to my snowplow.
Once I figure out the design it will need to go up to my local welder cause I can't weld.

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #7  
I don't think that the snow plow cylinders will work very well, because if you remember when you hit something with the plow angled, it will just swivel back toward the other side. I think that the same thing will happen with the landscape rake when it gets enough material in front of it to cause the rake to swivel. Just my "theory" based on experience with my snow plow.

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #8  
The ideal size of cylinder is about a 3" dia. A smaller one will not take the stress and a larger one is to slow.

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake? #9  
Jerry,

With a 3" cylinder, just one would do, right? How did you come up with that size?

Jim,

Just got a 6' KK rake with gage wheels. I've got no experience. Will hydraulic angling be really useful?

OkieG

/ Hydraulic swivel on a landscape rake?
Will hydraulic angling be usefull?!?! Oh my, never ask that, if it's possible to add hydraulics to something, just do it.
All kidding aside, YES it is very nice to have the hydraulic swivel working, I finished it this weekend. I used it for a couple jobs and it is great to not get off the tractor everytime I turn around and change directions. Also, an unpredicted benefit was that when I backed up to an obstruction, I could angle the rake to match the obstruction (like the garage wall), and swivel it as I drove away. It works great. Highly recommended addition. See photo. Mine works without any linkage, and the cylinder is a 2.5x10". Seems to have plenty of holding power (20Hp tractor, 60 inch rake), and the stroke matches the original five selection holes for range. The rear fitting bolts on, so can be removed if desired. the front fitting is completly welded in, as I felt the KK frame was a bit weak in this area anyway, so it spans the front and ties it together nicely. Probably overkill, but it was material I had on hand from something else. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 437359-P6010004.JPG
    437359-P6010004.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 531