Hydraulic Hose Replacement -- Two Simple Questions

/ Hydraulic Hose Replacement -- Two Simple Questions #1  

mundamanu

Silver Member
Tractor
TC40A, Ford 8600, MF65
I blew a hydraulic hose yesterday. I did a search and have read all of the "replacing a hydraulic hose" threads and am confident that I can successfully replace the hose. But, since I don't know and the threads didn't tell me, I have two questions.

1) When I disconnect the hose all of the hydraulic fluid will stay in the reservoir and not come pouring out of the now open fitting, right? I believe it is the former and not the latter, but again, I do not know.

2) Are hydraulic hoses threaded normally (apologies plumbers; I do not mean to imply that you are not normal), ie, right=tight, left=loose? The threads and fittings are pretty rusted and I don't want to be working them the wrong way.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

/ Hydraulic Hose Replacement -- Two Simple Questions #2  
# 2 I have never seen a hydraulic hose than was not "normal" right hand thread and don't believe there is.If I am incorrect I'm sure some one will say.
# 1 Fluid might come out of either end depending on where the hose is located.What I do for my different equipment is have a couple of caps and plugs the proper size for the fittings.When I break a hose I just cap the ends till I get a new hose made.If you don't know the thread size maybe someone here can let you know, than just purchase the caps first.

/ Hydraulic Hose Replacement -- Two Simple Questions #3  
All the hydraulic fittings I have seen have been right hand threads. I have never even seen left hand thread fittings for sale.

www.hydraulichosefittings.com has an actual size thread identifier chart that can be downloaded and printed. This chart is very helpful to the hydraulic novice since 1/4 or 3/8 size fittings are not actually 1/4" or 3/8" in diameter.

/ Hydraulic Hose Replacement -- Two Simple Questions #4  
Relieve the pressure on those hoses before you break the fittings loose. Keep a a coffee can nearby to catch as much dribbles as you can. Oh yeah...plenty of shop rags! Would be reat to have a helper hold the first end over that can while you free the other end. Let the most of that fluid out, then cap them off. Especially the ends still on the tractor. The hoses don't matter as you're replacing 'em anyways...

/ Hydraulic Hose Replacement -- Two Simple Questions #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
1) When I disconnect the hose all of the hydraulic fluid will stay in the reservoir and not come pouring out of the now open fitting, right? I believe it is the former and not the latter, but again, I do not know.

Bob )</font>

A little bit will leak out. Oil will not come past the pump so long as you don't start the tractor. You need to be careful taking hoses apart, should their be pressure on the oil from the hyd cylinder at the other end, it will push all the oil out from that side - as well as lowing whatever was being held up.

Since you say the hose is blown, it should not be a problem for you, other than a little dripping of oil.

--->Paul