FEL Cyl. Leaking Hydraulic Fluid

/ FEL Cyl. Leaking Hydraulic Fluid #1  

krickard

Tractor
Kubota L-3600 GST/FEL
Have a L3600D GST with a 681 FEL and this morning the right Hydraulic cyl. started to leak fluid around the seal, when cleaning up the area found the threaded housing is cracked and needs replacing. My Question should I get it rebuilt or replace the complete cyl?
1. Distance to kubota Dealer 40 miles and he will have to order from somewheres.
2. Need the loader out of service for a couple of weeks not good idea.
3. Is a 24 inch in length Hydraulic cyl. from other dealers usuable ?
Thanks for suggestions. ken

/ FEL Cyl. Leaking Hydraulic Fluid #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( threaded housing is cracked and needs replacing )</font> I'm not quite sure what piece you're referring to. Are you sure it's cracked and not just scratched. I just rebuilt a loader curl cylinder on my Ford 2120. Package of all parts was about $33 which dealer had in stock. I picked them up but but could have been here UPS the next day. Required a 3' pipe wrench to get it apart. There were some scratches on the rod which we smoothed out with emery paper. Put it all back together and it works fine. Probably about 5-6 hours total labor as we had some trouble getting cylinder apart as the wire that holds it together was broken off. A new cylinder will be expensive. You could substitute, but I would not as the cylinders used need to be matched in a lot of characteristics. Most cities have a cylinder repair business who I'm sure can repair it for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Andy

/ FEL Cyl. Leaking Hydraulic Fluid
Thanks for your replay Andy, went the 40 miles to the Kubota Dealer this morning and the part that is cracked holds the seal and threads into the cylinder,it is cracked so that a flow of fluid escapes each time the curl posistion is used. for this they wanted 70 bucks, waiting for them to open had gone to Tractor Supply Co. they had very simular cylinder for $87.so asked the kubota parts man the cost of a new cyl he said 295.00 + taxes and shipping. I purchased the TSC parts came back to the tractor and installed, other than red looks O'k and tractor back working.
I try to keep the Kubota standred but there is times I wonder why. Been a few storms here Power has been off and still areas waiting for Power Co. to reconnect. have 80 acres and trees down across the fences and the calves will find wire down and go across into neighbors pasture this was the reason for need to repair tractor se'ya ken
se'ya ken

/ FEL Cyl. Leaking Hydraulic Fluid #4  
Andy...... can I borrow those wrenches the next time you are down this way? If I am not home, just leave them in front of the garage. Thanks Junkman....