360 rotation on mini excavators

/ 360 rotation on mini excavators #1  

gmwest80

Tractor
Cub Cadet
I am trying to learn more about the component that provide the 360 rotation on a mini excavator, but also provides hydraulics to the final drive track motors as well. I no the bigger units use a rotating union, but wasn't so sure about the smaller units such a the Case C series. I have tried looking on the internet, and what information I have found has been somewhat ambiguous. Any direction are help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ 360 rotation on mini excavators #2  
There are a very limited number of ways to do this! I assume that you have something in mind; perhaps if you let us know what it is, we can give suggestions.

/ 360 rotation on mini excavators #4  
   / 360 rotation on mini excavators
There are a very limited number of ways to do this! I assume that you have something in mind; perhaps if you let us know what it is, we can give suggestions.
I am basically interested in building a mini excavator, and I am wanting to find that particular component off the shelve from a name brand. If that makes since. Thanks for replying sir

You are correct, not hard to find that part, it just that when I saw as the swing motor for the mini excavator C series, it looked nothing like the rotating unions that the bigger machines have, which made me question if track motors were fed the dydraulic fluid another way besides the swing motor. Hope that makes since

/ 360 rotation on mini excavators #7  
I played around with the idea of building a mini excavator. My plan was to have 360 swing just not continuous.

/ 360 rotation on mini excavators #8  
The swing motor is a different part than the rotary union I'm pretty sure. The swing motor oil wouldn't have to go thru the rotary union. The swing motor would be mounted on the upper part of the machine and drive a gear on the bottom part. The only oil going thru the rotary union would be for the travel motors.

So would it be correct to say, that even the small excavators have rotarty unions, same as the big units?

/ 360 rotation on mini excavators #10  
So would it be correct to say, that even the small excavators have rotarty unions, same as the big units?

It would be safe to say that if the unit had true continuous rotation. I saw a tiny fabricated unit that could only do about 300°, and it just had a little extra hose to allow that. If push came to shove, and you have a lathe, you could make a four-port rotary union, but I'd look for something like this first, if it wasn't too pricy: Vektek: Products: Hydraulic: Rotating Unions.