Hose Extension Leaks

/ Hose Extension Leaks
The fitting on the left may have a tapered female pipe thread which would not have a proper sealing surface for the straight thread O-ring bushing.

Triptester,

I took it apart to see what I could find. I can't see that its a tapered thread, but it does have a chamfered seat which may not seal well with the copper washer. See photo:

fittings-4.jpg

Also, the last fitting - right on this photo, has a very small hole. Is that normal, or is this an orifice designed to reduce the speed of movement of the attached arm?

/ Hose Extension Leaks #12  
FWIW...the F/F coupling (laying on the pencil) "appears" to be an SAE/ORB female fitting...it's hard to tell but SAE fittings are straight threads...Agree whatever it is...it's not a typical application for a copper crush washer seal...

BTW...yes the other fitting is a restricted orifice...

/ Hose Extension Leaks #13  
Terry
I would suggest identifying the thread type on the part of the fitting that is leaking. This could be BSPP or Metric. Both styles use several different sealing methods. There is also a Metric version of O-ring boss that would use an O-ring vs crush washer.

/ Hose Extension Leaks
The smaller M-M fitting, on the right, has the same threads on both ends. Metric M12x1.5 I think. I think I need to keep it because of the restricted orifice. The engine has to operate at PTO speed to run the mower, so that makes the action these hoses control more jumpy than really desired.

A 1/2" JIC male to Metric M12X1.5 female would be just the thing to get rid of the leaking joint but I can't find a 1/2" JIC male to a Metric female that small.

I'm pretty sure the female thread in the reducer in the middle is M12x1.5, since it readily takes either end of the M-M fitting. But I don't know how to figure out what the male thread on it is. If I could work that out I can probably get a fitting like the larger one in the photo that would actually seal.

The dealer seems to be closed over Christmas week but maybe I can learn more from them next week.

/ Hose Extension Leaks #15  
I would first try replacing the crush washer with an O-ring.

/ Hose Extension Leaks #16  
The smaller M-M fitting, on the right, has the same threads on both ends. Metric M12x1.5 I think. I think I need to keep it because of the restricted orifice. The engine has to operate at PTO speed to run the mower, so that makes the action these hoses control more jumpy than really desired.

A 1/2" JIC male to Metric M12X1.5 female would be just the thing to get rid of the leaking joint but I can't find a 1/2" JIC male to a Metric female that small.

I'm pretty sure the female thread in the reducer in the middle is M12x1.5, since it readily takes either end of the M-M fitting. But I don't know how to figure out what the male thread on it is. If I could work that out I can probably get a fitting like the larger one in the photo that would actually seal.

The dealer seems to be closed over Christmas week but maybe I can learn more from them next week.

Hey Terry - give me a call if you'd like some assistance - I'd be glad to try and help. I'm at 267-579-0142, ext 204. Thanks!

/ Hose Extension Leaks
Thanks Marc, I will.

Terry

/ Hose Extension Leaks #18  

In case anyone else is following or having a similar issue - we have decided to swap out the copper washer for Buna Bonded Seals as the Metric / BSPP threads are straight thread, they need the O-Ring to seal, so I believe that the bonded seal will fix this right up. TerryR please keep us informed so we can ensure the proper resolution.

/ Hose Extension Leaks #19  
I found that part, but in stainless steel? SS-2403-08-06 dunno if that works or not

That JIC nipple I mean

/ Hose Extension Leaks
Thanks, bazman, but I don't need JIC to JIC.

The factory hose is not JIC but a metric style. And, as noted above the fitting supplied for that includes a restrictive orifice which I think is necessary, so I need to keep that. The solution seems to be new seals between the supplied fittings. The dealer has supplied a set but they seem small. I'm waiting to see the size that Marc of Discount Hydraulics is providing, but there is some sort of screw up on shipping them so that's delayed. They are supposed to ship today so I'll see soon. There's nothing to mow at the moment anyway so there's no rush other than just wanting to get the issue resolved.