Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Hose Extension Leaks

I would agree with Marc on the oring being needed, you can see the beveled spot on the female side and from what I can see under the copper crush washer, the male side looks like it has a place for the oring to go.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    JD 870

Someone had earlier suggested o-rings but I was concerned that without restraint around the outside of them they would not withstand the pressure and work out of the joints. These seals solve that problem by incorporating a steel ring around the outside of the o-ring. See Bonded Seal (Buna) for BSP and Metric Threads
    Terry

JD 870, JD 404 loader, Bear Cat 73454 chipper, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog RTS62 tiller, Bush Hog 60-06 rear blade, Trac Vac model 854 pto leaf vac, single bottom plow

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by TerryR View Post
    Someone had earlier suggested o-rings but I was concerned that without restraint around the outside of them they would not withstand the pressure and work out of the joints. These seals solve that problem by incorporating a steel ring around the outside of the o-ring. See Bonded Seal (Buna) for BSP and Metric Threads
    To me, your picture appears to be a textbook example of an ORB fitting:
    Hose Extension Leaks-orbpicture-png
    Source: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...read_guide.pdf

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    To me, your picture appears to be a textbook example of an ORB fitting:Aaron Z
    Yes, that's what it looks like. Both the dealer and Marc recommended the bonded seal and I now have them. Now I'm waiting on some weather warm enough to get outside and test them. The issue isn't urgent enough to go out in 20 degree temps to install and test them.
    Terry

JD 870, JD 404 loader, Bear Cat 73454 chipper, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog RTS62 tiller, Bush Hog 60-06 rear blade, Trac Vac model 854 pto leaf vac, single bottom plow

Tractor
    JD 870

It finally got a bit above freezing and the barn got warm enough to work in so I installed the bonded seals and gave them a brief test. I didn't try them in the field but did exercise the cylinders a few times and found no sign of leaks. So it's looking good.

These things are not really o-rings as I know them -- the "ring" is not circular in cross-section but looks more like rounded capital "T". The thin inner part of the rubber has a pretty small diameter op - you have to screw it on the threads. I suppose that's to make sure it centers in the fitting so the actual seal area is properly seated.

Anyway, it seems to do the job. Thanks Marc.
    Terry

Silver Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    None

Fantastic! Glad to hear that did the job...let me know if you need anything else!
    Marc Vasquez
    Internet Sales Manager
    DiscountHydraulicHose.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123