Hose Extension Leaks

/ Hose Extension Leaks #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
I bought an offset flail mower and the dealer installed extension hoses to reach the outlets for my FEL hydraulics. But the connectors they installed leak. Here's a photo of the connectors:

hoses-2.jpg

They leak at the brass seals as shown by the red arrows. The are very tight - I can't tighten them any more. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

I can't even find hose-to-hose connectors in an Internet search. What are they called?

/ Hose Extension Leaks #2  
That looks like quite a mess, I see female hose to female hose with three adapters in between changing hose size.
Discount hydraulics is active on this site, I'd get with them, you should be able to get one male to male adapter.

/ Hose Extension Leaks #3  
You'd think something like this would be readily available. This came up when Googling 3/8 in. JICM x 1/2 in. JICM Nipple. Jump size male NPT nipples are also available.

images

/ Hose Extension Leaks
Thanks for the help, guys.

I know nothing about hydraulics. What are the joints on the end of the hoses called? JICM? What does that mean? I need a very basic education here.

/ Hose Extension Leaks
Thanks Triptester.

/ Hose Extension Leaks #7  
Thanks for the help, guys.

I know nothing about hydraulics. What are the joints on the end of the hoses called? JICM? What does that mean? I need a very basic education here.

JIC is short for Joint Industry Council and M is short for male.

/ Hose Extension Leaks
Thanks Mace,

That helps.

I think I figured out why they used the clumsy arrangement they did. I took one apart and I see the issue. The mower is Italian, and the fitting on the factory hose is Metric 60 degree cone, size M12x1.5 best I can measure. The extension hose is US, with a 1/2" JIC 37 degree Flair, based on the site that Triptester provided the link to. Here's photos:

fittings-2.jpg fittings-3.jpg

Fittings to connect them are not common but I think I found what I need on Discount Hydraulic Hose.com - at Hydraulic Fittings - 9067 | JIC 37° Male x Metric Male

They are nearly ten times as expensive as the common JIC to JIC fittings, but still not out of site.

What I don't understand is why the fittings provided by the dealer leak. In fact they leak with no pressure - just lying on the floor. Did they tighten them too tight and ruin the gaskets, or are they just not suited to connect to each other?

/ Hose Extension Leaks #9  
The fitting on the left may have a tapered female pipe thread which would not have a proper sealing surface for the straight thread O-ring bushing.

/ Hose Extension Leaks #10  
FWIW...it looks like they are copper crush washers...it might be worth trying some new crush washers before buying different fittings if the leaks are the only issue...