FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #1  

bmarshall1

Tractor
Cub Cadet EX3200
HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Hello - New tractor owner here and first post. I have recently purchased a Cub Cadet EX3200 with about 140 hours - seemingly in pretty good condition. I am still in the learning process but have a conern.

The issue is when the tractor is cold and I am raising the FEL very slowly, the FEL will drop about 4 - 5 inches then stop, like a check valve closing. When the tractor is hot, the FEL will not catch and will continue to drop until I pull the lever to raise the FEL quickly.

On purchase the seller gave me a dealer receipt stating 'the FEL sometimes raised when trying to lower', the diagnosis and fix was to 'clean and connect fitting at valve block'.

I left the bucket about an inch off the ground last night and overnight it dropped to the ground, so does that mean there is a leak or bad seal?

Lastly, is there a way to bleed the lift cylinders, I did not see a bleed screw (do they need bleeding?).

Do any of these clues mean anything, is there any other info I can give to assist? Thanks in advance.

Bruce

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #2  
You don't bleed the system it will do it when you operate the hyd cylinders , Cylinder leak or bleed down is common , How fast depends on the tractor there all different

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #3  
HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Hello - New tractor owner here and first post. I have recently purchased a Cub Cadet EX3200 with about 140 hours - seemingly in pretty good condition. I am still in the learning process but have a conern.

The issue is when the tractor is cold and I am raising the FEL very slowly, the FEL will drop about 4 - 5 inches then stop, like a check valve closing. When the tractor is hot, the FEL will not catch and will continue to drop until I pull the lever to raise the FEL quickly.

There are small check valves in the loader valve called "load checks" that are supposed to prevent that from happening. Not sure about parts availability on this generation Yanmar,, so this may not be a simple or inexpensive fix.

On purchase the seller gave me a dealer receipt stating 'the FEL sometimes raised when trying to lower', the diagnosis and fix was to 'clean and connect fitting at valve block'.

Another valve problem...

I left the bucket about an inch off the ground last night and overnight it dropped to the ground, so does that mean there is a leak or bad seal?

Lastly, is there a way to bleed the lift cylinders, I did not see a bleed screw (do they need bleeding?).

Sounds normal. Most FEL's drift down slowly, most manufactures even publish specs for allowable leakdown. There is no "bleeding" needed, these systems are self-bleeding and purge the aire through normal cycling on the loader.

Do any of these clues mean anything, is there any other info I can give to assist? Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Welcome to GTT. See my replies above in RED

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #4  
HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Bruce

It sounds like there may be a problem with a load check valve in your valve block. Maybe sticking open or dirt under it. Many loader valves have them to prevent the loader from going down when you start to lift the loader. On my Vickers valve they're right under the spool valves. If you have an exploded drawing of your valve it should show them if your valve has them.

That's my best guess anyway. Happy New Year!!

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #5  
I rather doubt if Cub Cadet incorporates check valves in their products.
As stated hydraulics self purge by nature of the system.
I suspect dirt or erosion in the valve with dirt being the most likely due to the low hours.
Another possibility is a bad fitting that allows air to enter but then under pressure there would be leakage at that location.
Most valve assemblies have a pressure release or regulator incorporated and a simple tad of dirt can cause it to leak and cause your symptoms.

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #6  
Second it sounds like a load check valve is not functioning properly. Not sure if you'll be able to do any service on it without taking the valve off and disassembling it.

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #9  
Would a load check allow lowering the boom if the engine was not running? Just asking as I don't remember having an FEL that wouldn't lower the boom with the engine off.
The loader on my Kubota drops very fast with a heavy load in the bucket.

/ FEL Drops When Lever Is Pulled To Raise #10  
Would a load check allow lowering the boom if the engine was not running? Just asking as I don't remember having an FEL that wouldn't lower the boom with the engine off.
The loader on my Kubota drops very fast with a heavy load in the bucket.

Yes. You are confusing “load check” with a regular check valve or restrictor, not the same thing.