Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler

/ Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler #1  

mljenkins

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060HSTC
This is an ignorant question, but before I go out and break something this evening... I bought a couple dust plugs at the local ag store last night to keep the snow and dirt out of the third function female couplers on my loader since the tractor didn't come with any. How does one stretch the rubber ring over the female coupler without breaking it? Or does the female coupler need to be removed first? I hate to remove them as I don't want to cause a potential leak putting it back together.

PS: These are the plugs I picked up, it's what they had on the shelf:
Parker Pioneer Rubber Dust Plug 2 Pk 1/2" VP5205-4M-CS
Parker Pioneer Rubber Dust Plug 2 Pk 1/2" VP525-4M-CS : Rural King

This is where I am installing them:
rubberplug.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

/ Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler #2  
You need to remove the coupler to install them but what I do is just fasten them on with a zip tie.

/ Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler #3  
You could just remove the hydraulic lines and put them on that side of the mount. The hoses have JIC fittings and will not leak from just removing them and then putting them back on. Simple and easy, no thread sealant, they seal on the tapered part of the fitting. :thumbsup:

/ Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler #4  
Maybe just zip-tie for now, and then install them on some nice summer day?

/ Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler #5  
Just leave them as you bought them and attach the looped end to the control box connector with a zip tie and forget about it.

/ Installing hydraulic coupler dust plug over 1/2" female coupler #6  
Im in the zip tie group. I see you have 2 females on the tractor. I have one male and one female on the tractor. Mating fittings on equipment. That way the loader switch position for left/right on the plow or open/close on the grapple stays the same every hookup. Jim