3rd Function Help (kubota)

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #1  

MRCONCDID

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 L48 Kubota
Hi guys I am considering adding a grapple to my Kubota L48. It seems grapples are cheaper (and more useful) than a fixed root rake ($2800)
I have seen kits for 3rd function or power beyond online anywhere from $550 ebay to $1800 online.
I think I know what I want, and think I am smart enough to install it myself.

I would like the electric button on the loader controller, doesn't have to be fancy, I understand there is a power beyond port on my distribution block that I will need to plumb into then to a pair of electric over hydraulic spool valves.

So does anyone have a parts list for the needed pieces and may be a good recommendation where to buy them at?

Thanks
MrC.

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #2  
Id buy a kit, minus all the hoses and fittings. So basically just the valve and your wiring.

figure out how and where you want it mounted. Then use some old garden hose or air hose and mock up where you want to run hydraulics. this will get you the lengths and fittings you need....weather it be 90 degree fittings, 45's or straights.

Universal kits from my experience.....usually work, but when done....you look at it and think "man I could have make that looke better/cleaner with different fittings or different length hoses"

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #3  
If you search the forums for "3rd Function" and "Diverter Valve" you'll find all kinds of useful information. But basically you will need to determine the max pressure and flow of your pump that supplies the loader/3pt/backhoe and buy a subplate and double solenoid valve to match. For example my Kioti is rated at 16 gpm and 2600 psi, however, 7 gpm comes from a secondary pump that runs the HST and 9 gpm comes from the main pump that runs my loader/3pt/backhoe, so I chose a valve (open center) that flowed at least 10 gpm and 3000 psi. As for a parts list your fittings and line lengths are all determined by where you locate the valve and where your joystick valve is located.

I used Discount Hydraulics and Surplus Center for all of my hydraulic fittings and lines and I used the John Deere grip for installing my momentary on-off-on button. I've listed the part numbers for you below if you choose to go this route.

Part -- P/N -- $ -- Qty -- Total -- Source

John Deere SCREW -- 21H1486 -- 0.56 -- 2 -- 1.12 -- GreenPartstore.com
John Deere SCREW -- 37M7355 -- 0.43 -- 2 -- 0.86 -- GreenPartstore.com
John Deere SCREW -- 37M7356 -- 0.48 -- 2 -- 0.96 -- GreenPartstore.com
John Deere NUT -- LVA12162 -- 0.38 -- 2 -- 0.76 -- GreenPartstore.com
John Deere GRIP -- LVU16701 -- 18.7 -- 1 -- 18.75 -- GreenPartstore.com
John Deere Grip -- LVU16650 -- 3.73 -- 1 -- 3.73 -- GreenPartstore.com

I bought my on-off-on switch at Del City - Electrical Supplies & Professional Grade Wiring Products I wanted a switch that could handle the amperage of the servo valve and I did not want to run relays.

Take time upfront to determine the fittings you want because you will want to order everything in one batch if possible to conserve on shipping costs (which rapidly add up if you forget a bunch of stuff like I did and then have to order one or two parts at a time. You should be able to assemble your custom kit for around $650.

One other think you might consider is whether you want all JIC hoses or Male NPT hoses, and if you have a line burst how easy/quick it will be for you to get replacement.

Last edited:
   / 3rd Function Help (kubota) #5  
AWSubie, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am doing a similar thing on my tractor. I looked at your parts list and went to greenpartsstore.com to see a picture of the part, but no luck... There are no pictures of the joystick grip. Can you post a couple of pictures of your handle/button setup?

Thanks!

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #6  
You might want to check out this recent post:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/262400-3rd-function-valve.html

I wanted to add 3 rd function valves on both my MX5800 and L6060. I priced out parts / kits and ultimately decided to let the dealer do it. He charged me $850 per tractor to install W&R Long valves. Yes, I could have saved a few bucks by buying parts and doing the work myself but I felt my time was worth more than the savings.

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #8  
If that's what fitrite recomended there will be no issue

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #9  
Thanks for all the responses, I followed up with fit right , he no longer has this type of kit. He suggested this kit minus hoses.

Construction Attachments Dedicated Third Function Hydraulic Valve Kit, Less Hoses, Up To 14 GPM

Do you see any issue with these parts or kit as a whole?

Thanks
MrC.

The kit appears to be reasonably priced with most everything you need. You would have to fabricate a mounting bracket. You should be able to get custom length hoses from discount hydraulics for <$100. It isn't clear how the control handle is supposed to be mounted though.

/ 3rd Function Help (kubota) #10  
The kit appears to be reasonably priced with most everything you need. You would have to fabricate a mounting bracket. You should be able to get custom length hoses from discount hydraulics for <$100. It isn't clear how the control handle is supposed to be mounted though.

Easiest thing is to put 2 bends in the joystick lever to get the grip in the best position. Get rid of the S pictured and just have roughly a 45* and 90* bend. Gets the control grip in the perfect location. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 638