Log splitter hydraulic problems

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems #1  

Tim Boyd

Tractor
ford 6610
Hello, I am trying to fix my log splitter and I am at a loss for ideas. Could someone please point me in the right direction. My problem is that I keep foaming out my vent and barely can make the cylinder move, it seems as if there is no pressure being made. There is no tag on the pump but it looks like a standard 2 stage pump, the first thing I did was switch the control valve with one that I knew for fa t works fine and that didn't help so I noticed some varnish/slime/gel in the tank so I cleaned it out spotless, still nothing. So then I put a psi gauge in line between the pump and the inlet side of the control valve and it never register anything unless you extended the cylinder and kept trying to bottom it out, after about 3 mins of continuouslying working the handle it sometimes would go from 0psi and spike to1500psi. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you,

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems
I also cleaned all the lines and replaced the filter aswell as took the cylinder off and worked it back and forth to make sure all old fluid was removed before replacing it with new fluid

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems #3  
I also cleaned all the lines and replaced the filter aswell as took the cylinder off and worked it back and forth to make sure all old fluid was removed before replacing it with new fluid

Post some photos. It sounds like you have a hose in the wrong place.

Likely your pump is dead headed and the relief valve is constantly having to release the pressure hence the foaming. This can lead to a pump failure and you should not be running it.

Dave M7040

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems #4  
Did the splitter previously work or did you just put it together and it’s never worked?

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems #5  
Foaming of the hydraulic fluid is a sign of air getting into the fluid on the suction side of the pump.

Yes it did work before, but i should have added in the original post that it has not been used since 2008.

I generously dumped oil on both conections on the suction side of the pump aswell as replace the suction hose thinking it may be colapseing internaly

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems #8  
No pressure until you bottom out the cylinder is normal. Its a standard open center system. Infact if the gauge reads anything with the lever not moving is an indication of a problem.

Foamy oil is air. Most commonly air is sucked in via a cracked suction hose to the inlet of the pump. And less common but would still cause the issue would be a bad shaft seal on the pump itself

How do i test the cylinder to make sure that it isnt bypassing thru itself

/ Log splitter hydraulic problems #10  
How do i test the cylinder to make sure that it isnt bypassing thru itself

Why do you suspect that? You havent described any symptoms that indicate the cylinder is an issue.

And with your gauge tee'd in the pressure port of the valve......and fully stroking the cylinder til it wont move anymore....and continuing to hold the lever...(bottoming out as you say).......what is pressure reading there? If near full system pressure....seals are fine. If seals are shot.....you wont make much pressure as it will just bypass the cylinder seals and return to tank.

A weak cylinder or slow cylinder is a sign of bad seals.

Bad seals WONT cause the air problem you have.

Do you do as suggested and inspect the suction hose? What does it look like?