BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added!

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added! #1  

Kayakin2

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
After the sub-zero winter freeze my Kubota BX-25 always needs Hydraulic Fluid added every time I use it. All hydraulics are sluggish! Suggestions?:confused:

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added! #2  
By chance, are you swapping the BH on and off often and dropping fluid? I would think that it is going to take a good number of connect/disconnect to see it on your level indicator.... But maybe your swapping multiple times a week?

Have you pulled into a garage, ran the machine at operating RPM and cycled all cylinders for a few minutes to see if you can detect a drip/leak under the machine on that clean floor?

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added!
No swapping of the BH for a month and quick disconnects appear ok and not leaking. Garage stop has not helped so far!
No obvious leaks but have looked for leaks! May try clean cardboard under tractor to try to identify any Hydraulic leaks!

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added! #4  
Huh... I would think that if it leaked enough that you see it dropping on the dipstick that it was leaking fairly fast. As in, you would be seeing a puddle if you man-handled the hydraulics under pressure.

Maybe it leaks when you have a load against the hydraulics. I had a FEL fitting like that, it would not leak under its own influence, but if I put a bucket of snow in it I saw a stream start coming out. My issue was simple, I tweaked it with a wrench and never saw that leaking again.

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added! #5  
Oil does expand when heated and contract with cold. Not a huge amount but it's noticeable when measuring the level in an automatic transmission. The level will go up as the oil temp rises from ambient to the specified meauring temp. If this was causing your low level, the level would rise again when the oil heats up (which may require spring to arrive).

Great suggestion! Will try looking for leaks under load! Need to buy more Super to fill enough for dipstick to show level! After filling the plow/rear lift and steering are sluggish but at least function! May have some moisture in the lines! Thank You!

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added! #7  
It probably has a spin-on filter. Are you sure it isn't leaking? They have to be much tighter than the standard oil filter.

Ralph

/ BX-25 Always needs Hydraulic fluid added! #8  
Is it possible on that tractor for a leaky pump seal to let hydraulic oil into engine crankcase? Some tractors will do that.

Ralph, Good thought as the 1000 hour service had just been done by the company from which I bought the tractor. Any idea where the filter is located on a Kubota BX-25?