SS impossible connectors

/ SS impossible connectors #1  

jmh1783

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST
I put a 3rd function on my tractor recently and got a grapple. I knew the grapple I wanted came with skid steer quick connectors so I ordered the 3rd function kit with them. Now I'm regretting it. I got the grapple on, took it outsided and operated a few times then took it off as I needed the forks on for the next day. Fast forward a week, I was ready to use the grapple for real. When I went to put the hoses on I couldn't with all my strength get the SS connectors together. Tractor on or off. I even stood between the tractor and the grapple to get the best leverage.

I tried the trick of using a blunt object and hitting the center with a hammer. It didn't work. After some twenty minutes and a lot of huffing and puffing, I got a pair of wrenches and physically removed the connectors from the grapple side to let some pressure off. Looking at TBN I even saw a guy who turned a pipe clamp into a tool to crank the two halves together. Is this what I can expect from these connectors? Considering how expensive they are I would hope they would work better than that. I'm considering buying some industrial connectors like on the rest of my tractor and just tossing these. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

John

/ SS impossible connectors #2  
You just need to relieve hydraulic pressure before you disconnect (cycle valves with engine off), that way next time you are not fighting high pressure fluid in the hoses of the grapple when you try to reconnect. You can still run into occasional minor situations even doing this, but it will eliminate the major cause of problems 99% of the time. This should be standard procedure when disconnecting any hydraulic implements with any sort of quick coupler.

/ SS impossible connectors
Hi s219. The 3rd function is an electric solenoid valve. How do I relieve the pressure? Would not completely closing the jaws do that?

/ SS impossible connectors #4  
I had a similar problem and solved it by cooling the hoses. Ran water over them.

Other times I made sure to disconnect warm, hook up cool, like in the early morning.

/ SS impossible connectors #5  
If you shut the tractor down then turn your key back to the run position without starting the tractor, you should be able to cycle the valves with your third function switches. Make sure to open both valves several times and hold them open long enough for the pressure to bleed off. Give it a try, I think you will find it much easier to reconnect.

/ SS impossible connectors
Thanks K5lwq. I'll try that.

/ SS impossible connectors #7  
You will STILL have an issue with the implement (grapple, tree grabber, etc.) if you take it off when it's cool and try to reattach it (or another implement) when it's hot out. The hydraulic fluid expands and pressurizes the QR fitting. It's nearly always the implement, as mentioned, you can drain the tractor hose pressure no issues. Sometimes you can attach the two implement connectors together as soon as you remove it; that will release pressure when you break the connection.

/ SS impossible connectors #8  
If you shut the tractor down then turn your key back to the run position without starting the tractor, you should be able to cycle the valves with your third function switches. Make sure to open both valves several times and hold them open long enough for the pressure to bleed off. Give it a try, I think you will find it much easier to reconnect.

:thumbsup:

/ SS impossible connectors #9  
You will STILL have an issue with the implement (grapple, tree grabber, etc.) if you take it off when it's cool and try to reattach it (or another implement) when it's hot out. The hydraulic fluid expands and pressurizes the QR fitting. It's nearly always the implement, as mentioned, you can drain the tractor hose pressure no issues. Sometimes you can attach the two implement connectors together as soon as you remove it; that will release pressure when you break the connection.

:thumbsup:

/ SS impossible connectors #10  
On occasion I will have inadvertently disconnected my grapple hoses while they are still under pressure. If it happens, I just push the ball on the male fitting end, down onto the bucket until the fluid releases. It's pretty simple, but you may want to wrap a rag around it as you do it... The fluid sprays about 3' in radius.