Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #1  

HomesteadOC

Silver Member
Tractor
Satoh Beaver S370D
Im trying to find a filter and remote mounting apparatus for an inline spin on filter. Im shopping on amazon and these 2 items are frequently bought together, but they look like they are incompatible.
WIX Filters - 51551 Heavy Duty Spin-On Hydraulic Filter, Pack of 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSGV08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-mCVAbHT95HG6
Prince FA1300-00 Filter Head, Cast Aluminum, 25 psi Bypass Spring, 20 gpm, 3/4" NPT Female https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KC88U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OnCVAbWGCWJEA
The spin on filter says thread size 1-12, not sure what that means.
And the filter head says 3/4 NPT port, but nothing about the spin on thread size.

Can anyone please help me out?

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #2  
For "american" threads, the first number is the major diameter and the number after the dash is the pitch, expressed in threads per inch.

For metric threads, the first number it the major diameter and the number after the "x" is the pitch, expressed in millimeters between the crests of adjacent threads.

The filter head has 3/4" NPT ports. This is where you attach a hydraulic hose or pipe to bring the fluid into and out of the filter head. The WIX data is the size of the internal threads of the filter where it "spins on" the filter head. See if the filter head has any specifications on the thread size where the filter attaches. This and the diameter of the sealing surface should match on both the filter and the head.

Zinga is another manufacturer of filter heads. I bought one years ago to relocate the hard piped in-line filter on an Eaton hydrostatic transmission...worked great.

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter
I want to believe the 1-12 means 1” diameter 12 thread count, but I know a 10-32 is not 10” diameter, is it 1/10” diameter so its inversely related to the first number? I looked all over the filter page and it doesnt say what the thread is. Maybe Ill have to call wix directly monday. Is 3/4” npt the standard hydraulic hose connector size for SCUTs of the 15HP variety?

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #4  
Im trying to find a filter and remote mounting apparatus for an inline spin on filter. Im shopping on amazon and these 2 items are frequently bought together, but they look like they are incompatible.
WIX Filters - 51551 Heavy Duty Spin-On Hydraulic Filter, Pack of 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSGV08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-mCVAbHT95HG6
Prince FA1300-00 Filter Head, Cast Aluminum, 25 psi Bypass Spring, 20 gpm, 3/4" NPT Female https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KC88U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OnCVAbWGCWJEA
The spin on filter says thread size 1-12, not sure what that means.
And the filter head says 3/4 NPT port, but nothing about the spin on thread size.

Can anyone please help me out?

Is this on the pressure or suction side? Makes a big difference. A suction service filter will blow up under 2000 PSI.

The technical data on the filter and the base should have the spin on thread size. The NAPA guys (they have Gals too) should be able to help, they have for me. I've matched up several filter situations like this.

Ron

Is this on the pressure or suction side? Makes a big difference. A suction service filter will blow up under 2000 PSI.

The technical data on the filter and the base should have the spin on thread size. The NAPA guys (they have Gals too) should be able to help, they have for me. I've matched up several filter situations like this.

Ron

This will be on the return to tank side, from my loader valve spools its labeled PB for power beyond, but it runs back to the tractor manifold since I do not have anything beyond.

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #6  
I want to believe the 1-12 means 1” diameter 12 thread count, but I know a 10-32 is not 10” diameter, is it 1/10” diameter so its inversely related to the first number? I looked all over the filter page and it doesnt say what the thread is. Maybe Ill have to call wix directly monday. Is 3/4” npt the standard hydraulic hose connector size for SCUTs of the 15HP variety?

Don't get hung up on the 10-32 threads. No, it's not 1/10" diameter (0.100") its a number size machine screwthread whose major diameter is in fact 3/16" (0.187"). Machine screw thread sizes are do not correlate to fractional thread sizes and can range from very very small #0 up to #14 which is about the size of a 1/4-20 but different pitch. Fractional size threads take off at 1/4" and after that, the sky's the limit.

The 3/4" NPT ports are simply there as a convenience to the end user. Many suppliers of filter heads offer a variety of connection ports ranging from NPT to STORB (straight thread o-ring boss), O-ring split flange, et al. You will have to get a male connector of the appropriate size to fit the hoses you intend to connect to the filter housing. Your local hydraulic supply house or perhaps everybodies go-to place, NAPA might carry them as well. Your Beaver might have some goofy hydraulic fittings that are the standard in whatever country the thing was made so that might present a challenge as well. Good old JIC 37 degree flares can be obtained just about anywhere but the other stuff can be tricky to identify and obtain.

Thanks for the explanation, spent a few minutes standing in front of our bolt nut apparatus. Im hoping that filter and housing fit each other because amazon says people order them together. If not Ill just return it and hopefully not have a restocking fee. The Satoh company is Japanese and everything on there is metric, but the loader is Blackhawk and made in America, so who knows what Ive got. Ill just have to remove hoses, take them to the store and have them figure it out. Most of my vehicles are all metric based now so most of my tools are metric anyway. Ford, Volvo, and Satoh are metric, the Craftsman, Chevys and the Plymouth are SAE, but I dont have time to make those run so I dont need to buy the tools yet.
Id like to have my hoses a common standard size and put the adapters on the filter or manifold where theyre out of the way.

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #8  
This will be on the return to tank side, from my loader valve spools its labeled PB for power beyond, but it runs back to the tractor manifold since I do not have anything beyond.

Double check your valve spool. Normally; the PB port would be plugged, if no further valves down stream as the PB is the same pressure as the Power (P) port. There should be a port labeled T for Tank or R for return. Is this an existing installation or something you are building? If the spool valve is new it should have come with the technical details sheet. But then, I have been fooled before on this stuff.

Pictures always help us do this armchair trouble shooting. Info on the spool valves would be helpful also, there are resources for checking these out such as the Tech desk at Surplus Center, a TBN advertiser.

Ron

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #9  

Is this the existing valve you have on it now or the one you will buy? Do you have 7 lines on your existing valve?

/ Inline Hydraulic Spin On Filter #10  
Double check your valve spool. Normally; the PB port would be plugged, if no further valves down stream as the PB is the same pressure as the Power (P) port. There should be a port labeled T for Tank or R for return. Is this an existing installation or something you are building? If the spool valve is new it should have come with the technical details sheet. But then, I have been fooled before on this stuff.

Pictures always help us do this armchair trouble shooting. Info on the spool valves would be helpful also, there are resources for checking these out such as the Tech desk at Surplus Center, a TBN advertiser.

Ron

I'm pretty sure he's considering a 3 spool with grapple by his posts else were.