One way cylinder with a standard valve.

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #1  

Rford

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 Ford 2000 Diesel 8sp
I have a single arm Ford loader. It has a single, one way cylinder. My tractor has a set of remote hydraulics (two connectors from one valve). I think, but don't know, that what I've got fits this question and answer meaning I've got the wrong valve for the job:

Q: Can I use a standard valve for a single-acting cylinder?
A: No. A standard valve does not permit oil to escape as the cylinder retracts. This trapped oil eventually causes a pressure overload. If you are converting to a single-acting cylinder, Tractor Supply stocks a Converta valve specifically designed for that purpose. >Note: The Converta valve does not have a loadcheck. Do not use this valve in a load-lifting system.

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #2  
If your standard valve has a float position it will work just use the port that is active with the float side.
A standard valve will also work but not as well, connect one port of the valve to the cylinder, and the other port can be dumped to the reservoir, or
some people will just plug the other port it will cause the system pressure to act on the relief valve while allowing the raise port to free flow back into the reservoir.
When your standard valve is in the center position both ports are closed, when moved one way it allows pressurized fluid to leave that port and the other port is opened to the return line,
when moved moved the other way the other port has pressurized fluid and the first opens a return path.

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #3  
I used a couple of single acting plow angle cylinders on the lift of my garden tractor FEL, and plumbed the spare port back to the tank, as mentioned.

When lifting, the pump oil goes to the cylinders through the one port, and the return port basically opens the tank to tank (nothing happens).

When dropping, the return oil goes to tank through the valve, and the supply at pressure goes from the unused port out to the tank, so the relief does not need to open. In theory, this leads to less overall system wear and heat build-up.

I have a couple of double acting cylinders to swap in at some point to add power down (which is a very nice feature), but it will require changing some mounts so it has not happened yet.

If you already have the valve with two work ports, it might be easier to bite the bullet and get a double acting cylinder now rather than having to change it later.

But if you think gravity down will be good enough to do everything you want to do, then yes you can tee the other port to the tank return line and it will work.

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #4  
I would get a double acting cylinder. You then gain power down

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #5  
I have a single arm Ford loader. It has a single, one way cylinder. My tractor has a set of remote hydraulics (two connectors from one valve). I think, but don't know, that what I've got fits this question and answer meaning I've got the wrong valve for the job:

Q: Can I use a standard valve for a single-acting cylinder?
A: No. A standard valve does not permit oil to escape as the cylinder retracts. This trapped oil eventually causes a pressure overload. If you are converting to a single-acting cylinder, Tractor Supply stocks a Converta valve specifically designed for that purpose. >Note: The Converta valve does not have a loadcheck. Do not use this valve in a load-lifting system.

Say what now?
Maybe my understanding is all wrong, but this seems backwards. How can the cylinder retract if the oil can't escape? Isn't this true regardless as to whether its a single or double acting cylinder? That is, each remote connector can both supply oil, and return oil depending on which way you move the valve's lever. I think the way a single-acting cylinder works is: if the oil can escape (by operating the valve), then gravity allows the cylinder to retract.

Edit: Oh, I see the answer is talking about a standard valve, but your question is about using a single action cylinder with your tractor's hydraulic valve (i.e. not a standard valve, but (I think) a 4 way directional valve (4 port, 3 position)). Tractors operate single action valves all the time.

Last edited:
   / One way cylinder with a standard valve. #6  
I've operated a single acting(one-way hyd pressure) cylinder on several different tractors including a JD 4255,Kubota M7040 & Ford 6700 with regular 2 way control valves with no apparent issues. PS: I didn't put 2 way valve lever in float position either

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #7  
I would get a double acting cylinder. You then gain power down

Some implements such as a 3pt disc hay cutter are designed to only be operated with a one way cylinder so cutter bar can float over uneven terrain.

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve.
Took some photos. I actually got the cylinder to move but its not attached to the tractor so I don't know if the valve will let it retract. DSC01204.JPGDSC01205.JPGDSC01206.JPGDSC01212.JPGDSC01211.JPG

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #9  
If it lets a double acting cylinder retract, it'll let a single.
I think you're good to go.

/ One way cylinder with a standard valve. #10  
assuming no PO check in the system, I don't see a problem.