74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #1  

sandytrail

Tractor
JD 830
I am trying to resolved this problem with the 3 point lift. If anyone has any experience, I would appreciate a little help. I don't think the front pump is getting oil from the rear pump and I am not sure what can be obstructing it. I removed the cap to the filter relief valve, but I can't pull out the valve. Is that normal? Do I just need to pull on it? I will be checking later. Thanks.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #2  
Welcome to TBN
How long since hyd filter was changed & sump screen checked/cleaned? Hyd filter relief valve should move freely in trans housing. Yes if possible just pull valve out.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up
I checked the screen and it wasn't very dirty. I changed the oil filter and it wasn't bad either. I will work on that filter bypass valve. It didn't want to come out, so maybe its dirty and causing a problem.

The filter bypass valve was gummed up a little, but not enough to cause the problem. I removed the dump valve and found the problem. There was a bunch of black plastic shoved under pressure into the valve. Took an hour to dig out the plastic and it had ruined one of the springs. I called the local JD dealer and spoke with a mechanic about where that plastic may have come from. He was not sure. He suggested maybe the sump screen. He said the ends have plastic on them. The screen in this tractor looked new, so maybe the previous owner had replaced it after it fell apart. Mechanic offered no other possibility. I am hoping that there is no more of that stuff in the system. Ordered the parts and will see how it goes.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #5  
Thanks for update. I can't think of a source for the plastic pieces.
Jim

I decided it was a good idea to remove the rockshaft cover. I found a bunch of that same plastic stuff that looked like a cheap funnel or inside of hose. I am not sure where it came from. I cleaned out the compartment and discovered that although the screen was clean, the tunnel where the screen goes was full of this stuff. I used a blow gun and a vacuum cleaner to get the stuff out. Now that I have cleaned everything out, the only thing I haven't done is split the tractor to check the low pressure pump. I don't think this stuff got in there. If my thought is correct, the screen keeps this kind of stuff out. I did not find anymore plastic on the front pump, dump valve, or anything else on the high pressure side of the tractor. I will put it all back together and hope I got it all.

I started it up today. As soon as the tractor starts, the 3pt lift starts going up. It goes all the way up and stays there. I move the lever to the down position, but the arms won't lower. When I shut off the tractor, the arms bleed slowly down. I stand on them and they lower a little faster. As soon as I start the tractor, they go up again. I suppose I didn't put something together correctly in the rockshaft housing. I will dismantle it again tomorrow, but I can't think of what it might be.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #8  
Did you get roller in control linkage in frt of follower(key 9)? Did you try changing positions of L/D control lever under seat?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 455
linkage.jpg

I tried the L/D lever. No affect.
When lowering the cover into place, I put the follower, #9, against the the lever, #4. I put it between the 2 sides of the lever. I hope that makes sense.
I won't be working on it this morning. I have a med appt, so I will tackle it later. Thanks for your input on this.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #10  
Yes what you stated sounds correct. Is spring intact & connected correctly?