Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

Default diverters or third function OR

You know with the cost of these third function controls and or diverters I am surprised that more people haven't just installed another valve in the power beyond line, either a joystick or 2 or 3 stack valves and operators. All the people with the top and tilts think how intuitive a joystick would be to adjust your level, and the variety of spools available with stack valves, metering, float, motor, detented, with load checks and then using cable operators to mount them remotely.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3725H

Default Re: diverters or third function OR

The advantage of a 3rd function or diverter is having the switch or switches right on the loader joystick. So you don't have to move your hand to open or close the grapple or do whatever's on the loader using hydraulics. I have a simple spool valves mounted on the fender with the handle pointing towards the joystick. I don't have to move my hand far but I do have to move it and that slows me down a bit. Eventually I'll build a 3rd function setup for it.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210

Surplus Center stocks a joystick valve with a third valve using a separate lever. I used it to add 3rd function on a previous tractor. Worked well but no comparison to push buttons on joystick handle.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst

I did that on my L3200 TnT build & it was pretty nice. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/h...-function.html The cab on my new L4060 isnt conducive to anything but OEM valves so that's what I have now. Really it's not that hard to develop muscle memory for levers over a joystick after a few hours of operation. If all things were equal a joystick is more intuitive & nicer, but things are rarely equal.

Platinum Member

To put aditional axis on a joystick is about impossible if it isn't electric over hydraulic, and most loader valves are direct lever actuation or cable actuation, so to get more function, you'd need a second joystick or other aditional levers.

Were I starting from scratch, I think I'd rather have an electrohydraulic system with a 4 or more axis joystick (or whatever I had availiable). Starting with an existing loader, I'd go with diverter valves.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210

I agree. All construction equipment has went to electro. Joysticks with switches and twist action that perform half a dozen functions.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."