Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple

/ Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple #1  

RyeThomas

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4510
Ok so I just purchased a EA Wicked 60 grapple

Compact Tractor Dual Lid Wicked Root Grapple from Everything Attachments

So here is the deal, I need to get some hydraulic lines made or ordered from the rear all the way to the front. I put a similar post in the attachments Forum but I figure here is better.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

So I知 running it from my rear OEM SCV or rear remote valve down under the tractor up along the loader arms to the front. So I searched hydraulic lines and grapple and the return was overwhelming. My kit for the remotes has no lines from the rear to the front so I have to figure that out.

So #1, I need two John Deere male quick connects from the rear. (Possibly swivel 90* or 45*)

So what size?

Next or #2 (haha) I need a male and female up at the grapple end, 1/2 pioneer 14-NTPF is what the standard from the grapple is

Whatever that means?....

Next # 3- Now the hard part, how much line do you leave for articulation up front? You need some slack but how much is good vs too much? I see EA has a spring type bracket with extra hose on the grapple, so that痴 great. But I壇 really like to measure and order it once. I tend to do things twice and that痴 expensive.

Thanks for any answers and your time, be safe. Rye.

/ Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple #2  
Not sure about the slack you need to leave but I've run all sorts of lines up to the front from the rear valves and it's very easy. I use two 90 elbows at the rear so it's easy for the lines to go where you want them. You get threaded elbows and thread your 1/2" quick connects to them.

Likely your hookup is that standard 1/2" like you have on the grapple. Get the length hose you need from any farm store like Rural King or Agri Supply. I don't usually run lines underneath because they can snag but run along the side for a while and then underneath for a shorter distance. If you use Teflon tape, start two or three threads back so there is zero chance of getting any in the hydraulic system. Paste is better.

/ Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple
Thank you sir, I appreciate it.

/ Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple #4  
Might suggest using a piece of garden hose or some such to get a length measurement allowing for the slack.

That would work, good idea.

/ Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple #6  
I ran lines from a rear SCV on my 2030 for the grapple.
I made a break (quick couplers) at the loader mast, for removing the loader. That way I could leave the lines plugged in at the back. I used two piece (black plastic multi hose, bolt together) clamps to support the hoses (I ran them under the right foot rest). I used 90s at the tips for the rear SCV.

On the loader I used hard lines (JD sells 3rd function line kits). With hard lines at the bucket end you will have attached quick couplers. I used two female and color coded them for correct hookup.

For slack put the grapple on, raise it and completely dump the bucket cylinders. This will be longest the hoses need to be. I then curled the bucket cylinders and at the low point of the hoses Tie wrapped a tarp strap to the hoses and found a spot straight up on the grapple for the other end. The tarp strap needs to be relaxed in this position, it will stretch when dumping the bucket cylinders.

I like air hose for making measurements. Route it and then measure. A little long is better than a little short. I would use 1/4" or 3/8" hose.
I prefer not to use npt, but if you do, use a thread sealant, but NOT Teflon tape!! I prefer JIC fittings or better yet ORFS fittings. They do not require sealant.

Great advice as well. Thank you.

/ Routing John Deere SCV from rear to grapple #8  
Just did the opposite;ran from my third function to the rear to run cylinder on our grain drill.Pretty simple really;use "hydraulic 90's not pipe(NPT) fittings.JD uses Pioneer connects I believe.I use 3/8" hose by 240" and it just fit.I purchased all my materials from Surplus Center,fast and inexpensive.

Thank you.

Ok so to update, I measured out to 240” as well so 20’ each. I copied the connector pictures off EA’s site and ordered a set with the exact pioneer number (1/2” 8010-4 male and 1/2” 4050-4 female) for $22.00 plus shipping, to my door $31.11

I had read that some AG quick connects that were 5675 compliant would fit (and were a bit cheaper) but I wanted to be sure, the online photos looked slightly different.

I then contacted the local hydraulic shop and almost passed out with there $353.00 estimate. I understand after shopping around some fittings can be $50-60, but man I’m not made of money either.

So I started shopping on my own, watching videos, and EA’s comments.

I decided to source my stuff online with steel NPT fittings.
So I went to Discount Hydraulic hose

I ordered 20’ hydraulax tough hose x2 with a MPX90-06-08 1/2 Male pipe swivel 90 on one end and MP-06-08W 1/2” male fitting on the implement end.

The implement end should be taken care of by the 2 pioneer fittings I ordered first that are direct part number matches from EA

Then I ordered 2 AG4F4 male quick connects for the tractor end (these are the ball style 5675 AG)
And for fun I ordered 2 602-08-08S male quick connects (these are the poppet style that are compatble with the 5675 AG).
I wanted to check out for myself the poppet vs ball debate for myself and at this point for $15.00 extra it’s worth it to me to find my own opinion.

So my grand total from Discount Hydraulic Hose shipped $182.45
My pioneers were $31.11 shipped for a total of $213.56

I’ll keep about $140.00 in my pocket any day. Now for the million dollar question, Did I get it right???

I’m betting not a chance, lol.