Will new directional control valves go bad if not used?

/ Will new directional control valves go bad if not used? #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I bought 2 Prince directional control valves from Surplus Center about 7 years ago and mounted them on the tractor, but just got around to hooking them up to cylinders (I know, I'm a slug). The cylinders leak down really bad when connected to the valves, but hold when I remove the quick disconnects from the valves. So it's pretty clear the valves have a problem. Is it likely that not being used for 7 years would cause the spools to corrode or rust? They were stack valves, I put them together, and they were well oiled when I got them, but of course they've never had hydraulic fluid through them for 7 years. The tractor is stored in an unconditioned barn and is often used in the rain or snow. Is it possible this is something easy to fix and not a problem with the spool? Or do I need to bite the bullet and buy 2 more valves.

/ Will new directional control valves go bad if not used? #2  
Do your valves have work port relief valves built in?

/ Will new directional control valves go bad if not used?
   / Will new directional control valves go bad if not used? #4  
Prince isn't really known for quality. If everything was free from contamination and didn't dry out, I would expect they were bad from the get-go.

Prince isn't really known for quality. If everything was free from contamination and didn't dry out, I would expect they were bad from the get-go.

I got these from surplus center because I'd seen so many posts about people using them and being satisfied. I don't know enough about the market place to know where to buy better ones.
I'm going to pull the spools out and take a look at them. I also want make sure I didn't distort the valve body when I mounted it on the base plate I made. But the valves operate freely, so I don't think I distorted anything.

/ Will new directional control valves go bad if not used? #6  
Beezfun
What are these valves being used for? Could you possibly add some external load holding device? If float type spool the answer is no.

Beezfun
What are these valves being used for? Could you possibly add some external load holding device? If float type spool the answer is no.

They're for top and tilt. So I could use a load holding device on the tilt, but the top needs to float when I use the bush hog. Can a load holding device be used on a cylinder where the load is trying to extend it? I think normally they're used when the cylinder is extending against gravity, rather than retracting to resist gravity. I have no experience with a load holding device, other than reading about them.

/ Will new directional control valves go bad if not used? #8  
Yes load holding valves can be used on either end of a cylinder.

/ Will new directional control valves go bad if not used? #9  
I had this same concern with my Kubota OEM valves after about 2 years. I have often seen rusty bores/pistons where the bore SHOULD have been well lubricated and protected. Most of my problem was distorted bodies, but I would not be surprised if there is some rust too. My hope is that any rust is a light patina and will polish off with repeated use.