log splitter valve

/ log splitter valve #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
Is there such a thing as a log splitter valve that will operate like I want .

I want to be able to push down and have the cylinder extend and then when I let go of the valve I want the cylinder to retract without me pushing the valve up. and it would be nice if it could pop off hydraulically when the cylinder reaches the end of its stroke.

I am planning to build a 3pt tractor splitter because I can't find any locally that are set up the way the one I borrow is.

Is there a term for cylinders that have a mounting plate on the cylinder so that the majority of the cylinder is sitting above the mounting plate unsupported. I'm looking for a cylinder to upsize slightly from the splitter I borrow. The existing cylinder is a 4" OD I'm assuming that is a 3.5" cylinder but it may be a 3" cylinder.

I'm somewhat familiar with the terminology but I need a little help on this one to make sure I get what I want. I think I need a valve that will spring center to a work port with hydraulic pop off.

I just re-read the description after typing my question and I guess this valve will do what I want https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_472_472 So I just need help with teh terminology of the cylinder. Sorry I don<t have pictures, the splitter is not here right now which is why I am thinking of building one.

If you look at the last page of the pdf that is the style of cylinder I am looking for. The problem with that splitter is that the bottom plate is way to thick. just like the wallensteins. I want one with a bottom plate 1" inch thick so I can slide it under a round I can't lift.

Attachments

• metavic.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / log splitter valve
I've done a little research and seems like I need a centerline flange mount at the head.

/ log splitter valve
I have a few more details looks like I need a crosstube mount on the rod and a flange mount on the head side of the cylinder(where the rod comes out)

/ log splitter valve
surplus center site seems down, Is there another site that has lots of choice in cylinders

/ log splitter valve #6  
I built my splitter out of parts I had on hand and Northern tool for the pump, tank, filter and adapter, Lovejoy couplings to connect the pump to a v belt, and controls. They have a control especially made for log splitters with the auto kick out. Prices are very good.

/ log splitter valve #7  
You could do it with solenoid valves, to get your automated full cycle end result, bit of mucking around though. Many have hold for split and kick out at end of return. Using a detent valve with a rod off the cylinder you can set the return stroke kick out to what ever length you are splitting, which can save a lot of cycle time.

/ log splitter valve
thanks for the replies, the splitter I borrow has a single lever valve which does not spring to center it springs to the work port so as soon as you let go the wedge moves back up and there is a rod attached to the wedge with an adjustable stop so the stop hits a lever that pushes on the valve to bring it back to neutral before the cylinder reaches the fully retracted position.

I want to keep this splitter simple, just one valve, cylinder and hoses to the tractor remotes

/ log splitter valve
I don't think I can get the auto kickout with the valve springing to a work port but I thought it would be nice to have because I've had the stop come loose on the rod and then the cylinder dead heads the pump. If you don't notice the sound change you end up overheating the fluid.