2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing.

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #1  

mopar440cu

Next door to the Gates of H*** in Sumterville, F
Tractor
John Deere 4500 4X4
Good Morning,
I have a question for you. I have a 2001 John Deere 4600 4x4 fron end loader with a Hydra-static transmission and lately the rock shaft will not stay up unless I physically hold it there until the fluid builds up and when I first start the tractor it makes a squealing noise until the pressure is built. I installed a W.R.Long electric hydraulic valve on it about a year ago because of my Wicked V2 root rake I bought. I changed the hydraulic oil the same time I installed the 3rd valve. What is your opinion on where I should be looking? Possibly air in the system still maybe?:confused: I was thinking this because I had a hard time with leaks from the Long 3rd valve. The fittings kept coming lose.:mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Scan_LI.jpgJD tractor 3_LI 11.jpg

Last edited:
   / 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #2  
So did the problem start when the valve was installed? Are you sure it is plumbed correctly? Is the valve a power beyond type? Squealing is usually associated with pressure relief valve opening due to an over pressure situation.

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing.
Let me see if I can better explain it. View attachment 559732View attachment 559733I have a 2001 JD 4600 tractor/ power reverser with a front end loader attached and want to make sure the power beyond hose is hooked up properly to the W.R. Long electric 3rd function valve. The hard line that was originally connected from the SCV to the rockshaft is the one I am questioning. The one that came out of the rockshaft is connected to the "T" port on the Long Valve now and the port coming from the SCV is connected to the " p" port on the Long Valve. See attached diagram.

I think they might be backwards? What do you all think???

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #5  
Getting "Invalid Attachment" message when clicked on.

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #7  
I was hoping there was more information in the attachments. Is the first picture from the JD book? Isn't that referring to a JD power beyond block?
Let me first say I know nothing about your tractor, but I think it would be plumbed in just like the WR Long picture. Line from the loader valve power beyond to P on the WR Long valve, and then from T on the WR Long to what ever the line the loader valve power beyond was originally feeding, which I would assume is the SVC valve(s), then on to the 3-point in its original configuration.
I placed the same pics in the first post also.

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #8  
Good Morning,
I have a question for you. I have a 2001 John Deere 4600 4x4 fron end loader with a Hydra-static transmission and lately the rock shaft will not stay up unless I physically hold it there until the fluid builds up and when I first start the tractor it makes a squealing noise until the pressure is built. I installed a W.R.Long electric hydraulic valve on it about a year ago because of my Wicked V2 root rake I bought. I changed the hydraulic oil the same time I installed the 3rd valve. What is your opinion on where I should be looking? Possibly air in the system still maybe?:confused: I was thinking this because I had a hard time with leaks from the Long 3rd valve. The fittings kept coming lose.:mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:thumbsup:

Thanks!View attachment 559734View attachment 559735

I would stop using the tractor and hope nothing seriously wrong has happened to the pump. It is not air in the system!

Obviously there are one or more plumbing mistakes and hydraulic systems do not tolerate mistakes for long, sometimes just a second.

Invest in some shop time with a JD dealer as it will be cheaper than broken parts.

Dave M7040

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #9  
Let me see if I can better explain it. View attachment 559732View attachment 559733I have a 2001 JD 4600 tractor/ power reverser with a front end loader attached and want to make sure the power beyond hose is hooked up properly to the W.R. Long electric 3rd function valve. The hard line that was originally connected from the SCV to the rockshaft is the one I am questioning. The one that came out of the rockshaft is connected to the "T" port on the Long Valve now and the port coming from the SCV is connected to the " p" port on the Long Valve. See attached diagram.

I think they might be backwards? What do you all think???
That sounds correct, although I'm somewhat surprised the electric valve is rated for power beyond without running a line to tank.

/ 2001 JD 4600 hydraulics squealing. #10  
I got to agree with Dave on this. Talk to your JD dealer, or at least to WR Long and get clarification. I think you got into trouble trying to tie into the tractor valve block where a JD power beyond section would be added.
I would stop using the tractor and hope nothing seriously wrong has happened to the pump. It is not air in the system!

Obviously there are one or more plumbing mistakes and hydraulic systems do not tolerate mistakes for long, sometimes just a second.

Invest in some shop time with a JD dealer as it will be cheaper than broken parts.

Dave M7040

Last edited: