Hydraulic Leak on Bradco 509 Backhoe Valve spool

/ Hydraulic Leak on Bradco 509 Backhoe Valve spool #1  

jedens

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4610
I've got a small hydraulic leak that appears to be coming out of the bottom of the spool valve on my bradco 509 backhoe. I think the valve is a hesco. It is just a drip of about 10 drops per minute. I haven't taken it apart because I don't really know what I'm doing with it and it is now at least still functional but has a pretty good leak. The hydraulic fluid is not coming from the sides between the spools at all, it appears that the leak is coming out of a hole at the very bottom of the spool that looks like it could have an allen head screw in it. I've tried to put an allen head wrench in it but it is very small and I haven't found one that actually fits it and I can't tell if this is really and allen screw or not. My first question is, is this something that might be fixed easily by tightening something or is this a bigger job where the valve and spool needs to be removed. If so, what should I expect to pay to repair or replace the spool at a tractor dealer?
thanks for any help

/ Hydraulic Leak on Bradco 509 Backhoe Valve spool #2  
Those Bradcos sure are consistant...The O-ring that seals the spool is leaking, I'm suprised it's just one of them. The spool should be removed and the O-rings top and bottom replaced. They should be allen heads std size..3/16 if I remember right. not that big a job just have to be careful not to damage the spool or cut the new O-rings. One spool 1 hour at the dealer. That includes removing the panel, linkage. Replacing seals and re-assy..Washing and going out to the yard to get the machine etc. may be additional 1/2 hour...

/ Hydraulic Leak on Bradco 509 Backhoe Valve spool #3  
My bradco 509 parts book, bought this year ( 5-25-99 date in book) says its a GRESEN valve, like Kubmech said it looks like 2 allen bolts on top of valve to get spool out

There don't seem to be any part #s for the O-rings, they list part#4653-valve section seal kit, contains 3-exhaust passage o-rings and 2-pressure passage o-rings. And part#4719-complete section service seal kit- includes ALL seals needed to service one complete valve section

You would need the complete kit IF you dissasemble the valve stack--- I would stick with Kubmechs advice and just pull the spool, go to you're local auto parts store and have them match the o-rings

/ Hydraulic Leak on Bradco 509 Backhoe Valve spool
From the sounds of it this is pretty common. The backhoe is only two years old. I'm pretty far (about 90 miles from my dealer). I'll be going in for my 250 hour maintenance on the tractor soon. Should I go ahead and have him replace all of the O rings in the backhoe spools at this time to keep from having to go back again soon?