Backhoe hydraulic problem

/ Backhoe hydraulic problem #1  

OhioGuy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, Case 245, Cub SZ60, Cub 2284
I've noticed increasing jerkiness on the boom on my 756C backhoe. Anything simple I can look at. It's well lubricated, there doesn't appear to be too much play in the joints. All the other motions work fine. If I feather it really lightly, I can get it move smoothly, but that's way too slow.

Any ideas,
Curt

/ Backhoe hydraulic problem #2  
Curt,

First, the easy...

1. Check your hydraulic fluid level and consistency (make sure no foaming on your dipstick- water or air), and not too thin or have dirt in it.

2. When is last time you changed your hydraulic filter?

3. You've been greasing your joints regularly, haven't you? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now the tougher...

4. Hydraulic Pump output

5. Dirt in line, piece of split/damaged O-ring.

Have you replaced any hoses or taken anything apart recently?

Anyway, the easy stuff is fairly quick and painless (read: cheap, DIY in a few minutes)

Good luck.

-JC

/ Backhoe hydraulic problem
Thanks JC,

I changed the filters and fluid a couple of weeks ago. The problem was unchanged by the oil/filter change.

I misspoke when I said the problem is getting worse, I'm just using the BH more and its more annoying.

I've been greasing joints religiously.

I have had the backhoe off and on several times but the problem is always relating to the boom up/down motion.

Maybe I'll investigate the control, swap it with the boom left/right?

Curt

/ Backhoe hydraulic problem #4  
Ohioguy, it sounds as though you may have a little trash in that particular valve. On my BH there is a cover in which the hydro hoses connect to the control. Pull those off and make sure they are clear of any obstruction. If they are beveled, make sure no teflon tape was used on them. There could also be smashed O-ring from overtightening there as well, partially blocking the flow. Should be simple to check out. John