Hydraulic Motor questions... 101...

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
I am going to be adding a hydraulic motor to my snowblower to turn the chute. I was discussing this with a friend tonight and he said that when the chute reaches the end of its travel, that the motor will destroy the gear or some other part because it is too powerful. He suggested putting a restrict in the line to control the pressure which will control the torque. Then he also suggested that I might want to slow the motor RPM with another type of restriction. I need some guidance in this quest for perfection of a hydraulic chute turning motor.. I don't want to go the electric window motor route... thanks..

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #2  
Junkman,
It looks to me like you would have to install a relief valve at a very, very low pressure to even have a chance of it working right.

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #3  
Have you considered a hydraulic cylinder, rather than a motor?

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101...
I considered it and discarded it as not a viable alternative. Here is a post showing how another TBN member used on on a BX2750 snowblower. Unfortunately he is no longer active on TBN, so there is no way to get any more information from him. I also know that Kubota did offer a hydraulic rotator on some of the other model snowblowers that also used a similar motor, so I am certain that this can be accomplished. I just want to know about any pit falls before I fall into one. Post #352419.... check out picture...

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101...
Here is another thread where it was done successfully. This particular chute has just one tooth that needed to be removed to eliminate the stopping problem. The BX2750 has teeth around approximately 220 degrees of the total 360. Too many missing teeth to cut them all..... Another thread where this was done....

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #6  
My motor has 2 flow resrictors in place, according to the Kubota manual they are 0.047" (if memory serves).

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #7  
A flow restrictor will limit how fast the chute turns.

As a previous poster mentioned, a properly-set relief valve is requried to limit how much force it turns with to avoid eating the gears,

The problem with a cylinder design is that it takes a complex linkage (or wires and pulleys) in order to get the desired 200+ degrees of rotation that you would want on a snowblower chute.

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #8  
I know what a flow restrictor does. I even know what a relief valve does.

I thought the information as to what my Kubota factory installation used might be of some use to Junkman.

Also, unless there is a relief system built into all of the controls on my machine, or, perhaps the motor, there does not appear to be a relief valve on my system.

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #9  
Junkman I have seen flow restrictors in use with chutes like you are talking about. I have a friend that brought one down here with him a few weeks ago to fix like you want. We welded stop blocks to the chute. We got the idea off of a boom truck i operate. They stop it and give it enough extra resistance to let the relief valve open up.Ithink the restictors we used were .045. My friend was transporting it for a customer from his summer home to his winter house in Wisconsin. Seems he takes all his implements with him to both houses.

/ Hydraulic Motor questions... 101... #10  
I suppose you could have it rotate infinitely. Then you wouldn't have to worry about reliefs and such(however you could end up shooting snow in your face very easily). You would then only need to be concerned with the speed of the motor so that it doesn't rotate too fast, which could be done as was discussed, by putting in flow restrictors, if necessary.